CHAPTER THREE

"It's a brand-new day! We shall look for her!"

The Prince's voice echoed in that cold morning, soon after the sun had risen. He was always the first one to wake up - apart from Larry, who was in charge of the group's organization - and he always did with a smile on his face already, contrasting with the grumpiness of the other knights.

"Any sign of that savage warrior?", he asked to one of the knights who kept guard during the night.

"No, your highness."

Philip frowned for a moment, worried. It was really a mystery how that girl had managed to escape from his men. It was almost like the odds were in her favor. But that shall change!, he thought with himself, decided to be as optimistic as he could.

And in fact, nothing could sweep off the smile on Philip's face. Since he didn't have his own sword anymore, he had to use Larry's. The horse left by the warrior was used now to carry their provisions. Philip was very fond of the sword he had lost, and Larry's felt weird on his hand; he didn't quite get used to it, but not even that seemed to affect his good mood.

They continued to follow their path soon after having a rich breakfast. Although it was cold, it was a good day to ride. The birds kept whistling out loud, but not as loud as the Prince. His voice was so beautiful that the rest of the group soon joined him in a choir again, and they continued singing the songs they were singing the day before they got interrupted by the strange warrior.

They covered a rather good distance. The vegetation was sparse around those sides, which made it possible for them to ride quickly. They only stopped to rest after an hour, when they stumbled on a steep slope on their way. It was high and difficult to climb, and when they reached the top, they felt so exhausted they had to sit around to eat and rest for a while.

"Can you see it?", the Prince pointed when they gathered around together over the edge afterwards.

They could see a grey form far away. It was so faded that it looked like a mere fail in the middle of the dense green of the forests around, but they knew what it was.

"The Ruins of the Old Royal Castle", the Prince said. "There, where she sleeps. Where we must go."

"It seems distant", said Larry, in a pessimist way.

"Yes, well, but we can already see it. It's a progress."

"We can see it because we're in a high ground. I don't think your highness should treat this as such a big progress. We basically advanced our way out of the mountain's shadow. There is still a long way to run."

But the Prince sustained his smile.

"My dear Larry! Again with your lack of faith! Isn't it enough the times you doubt the existence of my Princess?"

As the Prince's formal councilor, Larry had a bit more knowledge and freedom to say some things the other knights couldn't. However, it wasn't always that the Prince listened to him.

"I'm only realistic, your highness. We have to count with the unexpected. What if we get there and there is no Princess at all? Or what if we find out that she was already kissed, and already woken up, and today lives married off to another one who got there before us?"

The Prince kept smiling unaffectedly.

"I've been dreaming about her. I dream awake. And if there's something I have learned, is that dreams do come true. It's what my father always says."

Just like many of the knights, Larry had to hold back the impulse of rolling his eyes.

"And I just happen to know, Larry, that this is true love. Are you going to try and deny the existence of true love? Cause you're a fool if you do", he said as he climbed his horse. "I know for a fact that there's only one man capable of waking Sleeping Beauty up. I also happen to know this man will be me."