Ch 1: Baby Makes Three

It was a beautiful day outside. The sun was shining, the flowers were blooming, his lover was out at the store buying groceries, and John had a quiet moment to just reflect on how wonderful his life currently was. He and Jack had been dating for over a year now, and if they weren't spending time together at John's house, they were relaxing at Jack's apartment.

Even their missions were better. Both understood the need for professionalism on the job, but at night, when the ship was on autopilot, the couple was able to relax and just enjoy the time they had together. Jack still had his small crewman's quarters, but he rarely used it. Most nights, they would retire to John's larger 'captain's' bed, and fall asleep in each other's arms.

Once his adorably petite lover returned, John was going to set up the bbq, and get some steaks grilling. Jack didn't like to admit it, but he was actually quite fond of a nice medium rare steak. He'd insist on roasting plenty of vegetables to go with it, but John had been pleasantly surprised to see how fast Jack's sharp little teeth could polish off a piece of meat.

An unexpected knocking dragged him from his thoughts. The captain got to his feet, striding leisurely toward his front door. "What's wrong, Jack? Did you forget your keys...?"

There was a woman on his front step. A blond women with tired eyes, and a blue blanket cradled in her arms. "John Goodspeed... we need to talk."

"Grace?"

***

The house was silent when Jack walked in the door, which was rather curious. John must have gone out, he thought to himself. Balancing the grocery bags in one hand, he reached up to lock the door, and made his way to the kitchen to put everything away.

The light in the dining room was still on, the Greytrexian noted, even as he made his way into the room to get to the attached kitchen.

"John?"

His human lover was sitting at the table with his head in his hands. Setting the grocery bags carefully on the floor, Jack hurried over to him. "John, what's wrong? Did something happ... is that a human baby?"

There was a baby carrier just sitting on the ground at the captain's feet. As Jack watched, a tiny pale hand reached out of the blue blankets to wave in the air. His golden eyes widened as there was a single, piercing cry from within the blankets.

"Yeah," John muttered aloud, unable to make Jack's eyes.

"A baby..." the Greytrexian marveled, slipping around the chair to kneel in front of the carrier. Reaching out, he parted the blankets to reveal a tiny human face. The child was very young, perhaps half a year old, if Jack was up-to-date on his human research.

There were tear streaks down the child's pink cheeks, but their blue eyes sparkled with interest as they stared up at Jack. The little human's hands started reaching out again, as if wanting the Greytrexian to come closer. John was talking in the background, likely explaining how the baby came to be in his house, but Jack was too enamored with the child to look away. Wrapping his hands under the hatchling, he picked them up, blankets and all. Wait, do humans hatch from eggs like Greytrexians do? He'd have to reread that section of his homosapien biology textbook again.

The little one didn't even cry when Jack cradled them in his arms. They were just so diminutive and precious. The Greytrexian just wanted to hold the child close, and never let go.

"Jack?"

Oh, right. "Yes, John?" Jack asked, his gaze still fixed on the little one in his arms as he turned toward his lover.

"Did you hear what I said? About the baby?" John asked, clearly uncertain.

"Not a word. Look at them, John. They're absolutely perfect!" The Greytrexian beamed ear to ear, finally raising his eyes to meet his lover's gaze. John seemed... surprised.

"It's a HE, actually. His name is Gary," John told him, breaking eye contact to look out the window. "He's my son, apparently."

"You can tell from birth that he's male? That's handy. Greytrexians are considered genderless until puberty, when our females start laying eggs. Who is a perfect little boy? You are, Gary. Yes, you are," Jack chuckled, nuzzling the child nose with his own. The boy giggled in response, his tiny hands clutching at Jack's face.

"His mother dropped him off — and she won't be back," John admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. "What am I supposed to do with a baby?" he sighed aloud.

Jack wasn't sure why John was uncomfortable. Gary was adorable. Perhaps he was worried about having to raise the child on his own. Silly man. "We could raise him," Jack suggested calmly, peering up at his lover through lidded eyes.

"Raise him? When would WE have time to raise a child?" John asked.

"I'll take time off work. They do have parental leave, after all. Isn't that right, Gary? Isn't that right?" Jack repeated affectionately, making the baby giggle. "Seriously, John, look how cute he is! With his golden hair, and pretty eyes, and his cute little nose!"

His lover was now cooing at the baby, his eyes radiating love and happiness. Geez, how could John say no to that face?

"He's still young. We'd be at his beck and call all the time, you know. If you're... if you're sure you want to do this, maybe you should — move in with me?" It came out as more of a question, than a statement. John winced, uncertain how his Greytrexian lover was going to take his suggestion.

"Of course, I'll move in with you, John," Jack answered, smiling up at him with so much love in his eyes that it made John's heart leap in his chest. I've been waiting for you to ask me." The Greytrexian's attention returned to the child in his arms. "You're ours now, little Gary. Our little baby boy. And we are going to love you forever and ever. Yes, we are..."

And Jack was cooing again, nuzzling his cheek against the baby's with unbridled affection. His lover so adorable! He just wanted to marry the crap out of... OH! Oh... Probably best not to rush into that, too, just in case Jack changed his mind about the family thing later.

***

Note: Awww, John is self-conscious about their relationship.