Ch 2: A Not So Silent Night

Jack woke to the sound of a child sobbing. My hatchling is awake and in need of attention, he thought, his brain still muddled from sleep. Sitting up slowly, he glanced to the side to see that his mate was still fast asleep, his broad-shouldered back facing toward Jack. A wry smile passed over the Greytrexian's green lips, but he only shook his head, and slipped out from under the covers. Making his way to the next room, he lifted the crying infant into his arms, and rocked him gently back and forth.

Humming a Greytrexian lullaby, Jack shuffled his way back to the main bedroom. With every step, Gary grew quieter, until his sobs tapered off entirely. Jack eyed the stepping stool next to his side of the bed — why did human beds have to be so very high off the ground anyway? He carefully stepped onto it, and took a seat on the edge of the mattress. The baby in his arms opened his mouth to let out a yawn, his blue eyes drooping. In moments, he was fast asleep, his face pressed against the Greytrexian's chest.

"I don't know how you're comfortable like that, little one," Jack whispered, pressing a kiss to the child's forehead.

"Hmm? Did I sleep through his crying again?" John asked, sitting up with a massive stretch. "That you did. But the moment I say a single word, you wake up," Jack teased, throwing an amused look at his mate.

The captain turned and wrapped his arms around his smaller lover. To his delight, the pilot's purple nightshirt — which was really more of a nightgown on a person Jack's size, had slipped down, revealing one of his olive green shoulders. Leaning close, he pressed his lips to his lover's bare shoulder, inciting a laugh from the smaller man.

"John, the hatchling is sleeping," Jack whispered back at him, his golden eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Why don't you let me put Gary back to bed, and then we can spend some quality time together," John purred, wrapping his arms around the Greytrexian's waist to snuggle him properly.

"You are insatiable," the little man chuckled, holding Gary close as he leaned up to kiss his taller mate's unshaven chin.

"We do both have tomorrow off, so we can afford to be a little lazy," the captain said, before sealing the alien's lips with his own for a leisurely kiss. Jack leaned into it, his eyes lidded in pleasure, but then he pulled away with a pout.

"John, not in front of Gary," Jack chided lightly, rocking the sleeping infant in his arms.

"Of course, dear. I'll take him back to bed now, and then we'll... continue our little love game," John insisted, whispering the last few words into his lover's ear. Jack visibly shivered, his eyes darkening with arousal.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Jack handed the child to his mate. "Sleep well, little one."

"I'll be back soon," John promised, striding out of the room calmly, leaving Jack to recline back onto his pillow.

The Greytrexian sighed aloud, tugging the covers into his arms. How did he get so lucky? Their relationship was a mess from the start, but once everything was out in the open, they were somehow able to make it work. And then Gary arrived, and life became even more wonderful.

Jack felt his eyelids drooping as sleep began to pull at his consciousness. Ah yes, he hadn't gotten much sleep over the last few days. It wouldn't hurt to take a quick nap until John came back.

***

John smiled down at his lover. The little man was curled on his side, holding the blankets close as he dozed. The green of his skin, and the purple of his nightshirt stood out vibrantly against the white linens. God, he was adorable. How did he get so lucky?

Reaching out, he gently tugged the covers out of Jack's arms, receiving a sleepy grumble in response. Sliding onto the bed, he pulled the smaller man close, and draped the covers over them both. The Greytrexian didn't wake, he only nuzzled closer, his breath ghosting over John's bare chest.

"Goodnight, Jack," the captain whispered, pressing a kiss to the alien's head. Settling down, he held his lover close, and drifted off to sleep.

***

Note: It occurred to me that I keep thinking of Gary having blue eyes, which is why I keep writing him that way.

https://shitiger01.deviantart.com/art/Over-the-Moon-fanart-747473863
-My personal art for this chapter.  Wish I was a better artist, but here you go.