•E I G H T•

Marguerite's habit of staring out of windows didn't dissipate over the years. She continued, no matter the weather, the location, or what she was supposed to be doing instead.

As of age eight, her lessons with Antoine became harder, if that was possible. They still occurred in the Library, under Master Martel's scrutiny. The two friends were more familiar with Totresian history by then, the important noble bloodlines and the surrounding countries with which they were at peace. As seventeen-eighty-five came around, their tutors assumed they were ready for bigger, heavier subjects. So the King enforced their new studies—enemy kingdoms, current treaties and their progression, and in-depth geography sessions.

A month before their ninth birthdays, in the late winter, King Edouard proposed an educational tour around Totresia. "I have a few stops to make, a few nobles to visit; some of which have left court but are still my most trusted advisors." He sat beside Master Martel, in the Library, and had been waiting with the elder man as Marguerite and Antoine arrived. Martel was stiff, shocked that the King would barge into one of their sessions, but Edouard paid him no mind. "As the two eldest in our family, it is wise to show you this country you have been learning so much about."

Master Martel peeked at the King, gulped, blinked, and slid his lips apart. "S-Sire, what of their lessons?"

King Edouard rose from the spot he'd taken beside the fireplace, brushing out the creases in his maroon breeches. His attire near matched what he wore in the portrait hanging above the hearth, and Marguerite fought not to let her jaw drop at the sight. "Then we will bring you along, Martel! Are you not up for a trip?"

Master Martel's dark eyes bulged from their sockets. "Sire, I... I am not fit to travel..."

"Right, then you will pick someone in the castle who is, and who you would see fit to teach the children while we take this journey. It is essential, no? To show them their country, introduce them to their people?" Edouard patted the man on the back so hard he almost fell off his rickety chair, and he gripped the sides of the seat to keep his balance. "We will leave in a few days, so I expect your recommendation as soon as possible."

On his way out, King Edouard tousled Antoine's messy mane, and gave Marguerite's cheek a gentle pinch, grinning from ear to ear.

It was hard to tell who was more excited about the excursion; the King, or his two companions who struggled to concentrate for the rest of the lesson. Worse so with how grumpy Master Martel became, aware he'd have to pass on all his study notes to someone else. He grumbled under his breath for another hour; and Marguerite and Antoine held in their squeals of delight.

For days they discussed their anticipation; Marguerite yearned to meet the nobles and taste traditional foods and admire the landscapes. Antoine claimed he looked forward to spending more time with his father; but the closer they got to leaving, the more nervous he appeared. He changed the subject when Marguerite brought it up and tugged at his collar or played with his hair—anything to get out of explaining what he felt on the inside. Marguerite understood his anxiety without him voicing it; he knew these cities and countrysides were ones he would rule over one day, and that responsibility didn't settle well in his belly.