•N I N E•

To view his best friend so distraught sent waves of discomfort to Antoine's heart.

Sure, he knew of the rumors circulating about his mother. Her frigid nature towards most who weren't in her direct circle; her pointed remarks at chaperones and butlers and squires who under-performed according to her standards. But the gossip he ignored most was the talk of the Queen bullying Marguerite. It couldn't be true; why would she harm a girl she herself raised? It made no sense.

As time passed, he came to realize he had noticed something. Clémentine became more distant from the Duchess, offering less smiles, less encouragement, less affection. He didn't want to see or recognize it; but after discovering what the woman said to Marguerite when they left the castle, his temples flared with pain, his chest caught on fire. So, he gaped out the window, watching the scenery turn dark and the sky wrapped in its navy blanket, praying he might rectify the situation.

At every stop, in every place they visited, he watched how noblemen addressed Marguerite. Because of the reports of his mother's behavior turning out to be true, he wanted to assure himself his father's men weren't criticizing his best friend, too.

Thinking of his mother's actions boiled Antoine's blood; and young as he was, he knew he'd have to sway her into being gentler towards Marguerite.

It surprised him to find most folk had nothing but gracious words for the Duchess. If they had ever said cruel things about her in the past, they refrained during this trip—all spoke to her with kindness, and the reverence required when conversing with a noble of the highest status. No one mentioned her sex, or how different she was, compared to most girls her age; and no one singled her out. All bowed in her presence, grateful to meet her in person.

Of course, King Edouard's scrutiny helped.

This is how it should always be.

Despite the serious nature of their trip, he made time to have fun. Whenever possible, he and Marguerite mocked funny-looking noblewomen and their frivolous hats or chuckled at the frilled frock coats most of Edouard's men wore. They invented stories for each city they paused in; imagining themselves exploring the shops and markets, chasing other children about the square, or stealing pastries from the merchants to sample them and compare to those at Torrinni Castle.

But they never ventured far from the King. He watched them, praised them, and scolded them if need be. If he knew of their antics, he said nothing as long as they obeyed him. He treated them as equals, detailing the rich histories of the Provinces and Marquessates and Counties they visited. He gave them so much information, in fact, that the tutor appointed by Master Martel ended up staying in the carriage, leaving Edouard to show them landmarks and dictate their lessons.

When he introduced them to the citizens—he wouldn't allow heralds or squires do so in his place—he never failed to beam, stand up straight, speak loudly.