Class 2-B

Sometimes, I hear footsteps echo along an empty hall. I swear... the sounds are everywhere.

I heard a conversation going on right behind me.
"Don't be an idiot. You can't go to Central Town without your partner."
"But Hotaru-!"

I immediately dropped my bag and spun around, but no one was there.

"Hey Mikan! Where are you going? The cafeteria's this way!", someone shouted.
I looked at the source of the voice. 

"Ah, right. Sorry!"

Kaito watched as I reached for my bag and followed him. This wasn't too unusual after all. He gave me a look, but I shrugged it off.  He often acts rude and uncaring, but that's exactly what makes him the kind person he is. My first meeting with him had been quite eventful.

Everyone was staring at me. The teacher had asked me for an introduction, but I couldn't even manage to produce a sound. The school had forced me to resume classes; they had gotten impatient with me.

The students in front of me didn't seem to realize that their whispers reached my ears. My eyes were red and swollen from the crying.

"Isn't that the girl?"
"Yeah, Sakura Mikan."
"So is it true?"
"Yeah."

The teacher noticed my discomfort. "Well, Mikan-san, welcome to class 2-A! You can sit in that empty seat over there."

There were two though, so I sat down in the one closer to the window. Some people stared at me, but no one said anything. Maybe I really am just the freak from that class. Time passed by slowly.

About half an hour later, a guy entered the class. "Sorry I'm late, I was stopped by a... teacher."
I stared at him quietly.

He walked straight up to me, but I simply ignored him.However, he pulled my chair back and sat right onto me.

I blushed,"What the hell are you doing?!"

For a few seconds, he didn't say anything. Then he finally replied,"You're in my seat. Move."
So he got up and made me move over to the seat next to him. That day, I forgot why I was crying.

"Oh come on, wait for me!"

I eventually caught up to him as he entered the cafeteria. I waited for my Special Star meal. I heard voices again.

"No fair! You get soooo much food! I wish I was a three star!'

I looked to the left. It was just a one-star student was complaining to her friend about her star ranking. That's stupid, star rankings don't matter. Why? This place is just a prison they call "school". 

Kaito spoke, "Are you sure you're alright? You look a bit tense."

"Yeah, I'm fine."

We both sat down next to some classmates. I don't count them as friends, because there's no such thing. Friends only bring trouble, nothing else. Having them won't be any better. Kaito and Hitomi are just an exception. 

"Are you eating that?"

I looked up. Hitomi had always been a pig since we met in class 2-A. In fact, we first met when she ate half of my lunchbox while I was cleaning the chalkboard. 

"Hey Sakura, it's your turn to clean the board."
"Okay.."
Someone shouted, "Hitomi, what are you doing?"
"It looks good, okay?"
I looked over and found her inhaling my lunch. I smacked her on the head.
She looked up at me. "Oops."

"Nah, you can have it. I'm not really hungry today. Actually, I'm going to go to bed. I'm feeling really out of it." 

"Fine, but you owe me some of your lunch tomorrow."
"Whatever."
"Good night!"

I headed up to my room. 

"Hey Polka."
"Geez Natsume! My name's M-I-K-A-N! Stop calling me that!"
"Whatever you say, Polka."
"I'm gonna kill you!"

I wasn't turning around this time, because I knew he wasn't there. None of them were. Why exactly was that? Well, they're not there, because the entire class 2-B died five years ago.