The Power of Alices

"Mikan-nee, I'm sorry."

"What are you talking about Youchi?"

"I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you when they died."

My eyes hardened."That doesn't matter. Just forget it. As long as you stay beside me, it'll be fine."

What is that boy doing?

"Onee-san!"

I followed the shout, which led me right to my guess, Class 2-B. The funny thing is, I couldn't hear or sense any danger. I could only hear giggles, laughs, and sounds of objects being tossed back and forth.

But then I heard Youchi whimper. I slammed the door open.

Bam!

"Youchi! What's wrong?" Then I realized that we weren't alone. I looked up.

My eyes widened.

What was this?

Standing there, right in front of me, was class 2-B, the class that died five years ago.

"Hey Mikan!, you're late!" I looked at the speaker, Koko.

"What are you doing? Sit in your seat before the teacher comes in."

I turned my head toward Hotaru.

Youchi pulled on my sleeve. He was on the verge of bursting into tears. "I-I'm sorry Mikan-nee. I don't know what happened."

Anna walked over. "What's wrong Mikan? You look as though you've seen a ghost."

How ironic.

I couldn't handle it anymore. I fell to my knees and became hysterical. Whether I was crying or laughing, I have no clue.

Everyone rushed over to me, but none of this was real. They were just ghosts that Youchi conjured up, maybe to scare me or make me happy, but either way, this was a really cruel joke. Someone patted my back.

"Don't touch me!"

I heard someone gasp from the hate in my voice.

Kaito ran in.

"Mikan, what's wro-"

Another voice answered, "Who the hell are you?"

I think my crying slowed down, because I was able to look up and gaze right into the red eyes of Natsume.

It became really quiet. Then, as if on cue, Narumi entered.

"Mikan-chan! What happened?"

I growled, "I told you not to call me that anymore!"

"Sorry..."

The ghost of Natsume pulled me up. "Why are you acting so weird today?"

Did he not know? Did he not realize that it had been 5 years since we last talked?

I stopped crying. Then, I ran out of the room.