I

London has changed. The smog is most definitely unbearable. Not to mention the horseless carriages buzzing around town. Can't even walk on the bloody street without dodging 'em.

It's been a busy 50 years since, well not sound like a crazed fanatic, the most interesting man I'd ever met left. I didn't even know his name, I just knew about his adventure. And his promise to be back in 30 minutes... I'm still waiting.

I packed up my things and put it in my bag. Never know what will happen at a lab where people have travelled through time. So I have all the things the Time Traveller needed on his trip. Matches, camphor, and a knife so I don't need a lever to beat up Morlocks.

I headed out of my flat. It's a nice view of the Thames, and it's not far from that lab where my life changed. I just walk down the sidewalk, trying not to get hit by those dreaded car things, and cross a bridge over into Richmond. It's the first building on the left.

I got to the lab that same way as always. It's facade has definitely worn down, but I've kept the inside clean. I opened the door into the first room, the room where we discussed the 4th Dimension many years past.

I looked at the table where once upon a time I saw time travel for the first time. Two flowers from 802,701, which were now very shriveled and brown, rested on the table. That was the only evidence that the Time Traveller, my hero, didn't lie to me about that whole time travel adventure.

I entered the room the Time Machine once rested in, it was just empty. The air was bitter and cold, like it knew to feel miserable. I never expected him to return, but if he did I think I'd slap him, then embrace an old friend whose been away for years. But the Time Traveller... he's never coming back.

I swept the floors, and dusted the furniture to keep the lab looking good, because even if I knew the truth, I've been wrong before. As I went to dust that table with the flowers, a new thing rested among the shriveled petals. The new object looked very familiar, and it brought a small grin to my face.

The clock-sized time machine the Time Traveller sent into the future 50 years ago, sat in front of me. I picked up the small thing to admire it. It was so detailed for a small time machine. The ivory still looked the same as the day I first saw it.

I went to set the thing back down, when my finger nudged the lever, and I was transported somewhere far from my time.