Victor x Rudy (and a bit of Felictor) -- Cedar and Cogs

hello peeps, how ya'll doing
summer holiday is soon, so expect more fanfics
send prompts
will try to update every week, but if I'm gone updates will be more sporadic
Like my new cover? I made it on Canva
thanks to @HadenHeaven for this idea (i cannot believe i only found out how to tag people)
Happy Pride Month, everyone!!!!!!!!
lets goooooooo

He was walking down the halls of the opera when he saw a sliver of light peek out from a heavy-looking mahogany door and music drift out. It was a lively piece, one which brought back memories from when they were at the Black Knight. Felicie was dancing, red hair flying, green eyes sparkling with joy, the toes of her brown shoes scuffed in various places. They had run down the street afterwards, arms outstretched, wondering if this was what it felt like to fly. The night had ended, sweet and simple, outside the courtyard where he had fallen head over heels in love for her. 

He pushed the door slightly wider, and blond hair flashed in his vision. He turned, face to face with what seemed like a Caravaggio angel. His bluish-grey eyes held the light of a thousand stars, and his cheekbones were so sharp if he touched them he could've recoiled, sporting a cut. 

The angel looked at him with curious eyes, tilting his head and moving around him in a circle. He opened a pair of rosebud lips, and asked: "Who are you, and what are you doing here?" Victor could barely stutter out a reply of "Oh, um, I, I'm Victor. Victor François Xavier. What's your name?" Instead of replying, the angel merely asked levelly, with a smile "You haven't answered my second question. Why are you here?" 

Victor smiled sheepishly, having forgotten about the latter. "I, well, I saw the door was open and heard music so..." He gathered up his courage, offered a quick prayer to the deity of spontaneity and asked, "So, what's your name?" 

An apology was halfway out of his lips when the angel smiled and answered "Rudolph, but call me Rudy. Excuse me." And with that parting shot, he slipped out the door, leaving only a faint scent of cedar and willow behind.

Once Victor had made his hasty retreat out the door, he wandered around the halls love struck while wondering how to break the news to Felicie. He had never felt this way before, so of course, he had no idea how to react. 

He couldn't stop thinking of Rudy, even when he met up with Felicie and kissed her absentmindedly on the forehead and wandered off, saying he "wouldn't be long" and not to "wait for me for dinner". 

Felicie only nodded and smiled to herself, immediately knowing what happened and determined to see them end up together. She was after all aromantic and asexual, of course, she didn't mind. Besides, Felictor might've been one of the top three ships, among Merdette, but the other was Rudy and Victor. 

Felicie had always loved Victor as a friend and nothing more, but had been willing to take the chance when Victor said he really liked her, and while it had been fantastic, she could see that he had wanted something more. 

That something had been something that Felicie could not provide for Victor, and they gradually started to drift apart. Odette had picked up on her behaviour, Merante had asked whether he needed to shoot anyone, but Felicie talked to her parents and after a round of puzzled questioning, they smiled, Odette smacked the muzzle of Merante's gun down and picked it up, mounting it back over the door. Merante blushed, asked for another kiss before padding over to his favourite spot by the window, stretching like a large affectionate cat before settling down and diving into the never-ending pile of paperwork. Now only one question remained: How could Felicie make them meet up?
—————
"Victor! Wait up!"
"Yes, Felicie?"
"I'm breaking up with you. "
"But, but, what did I do?"
"You didn't let me finish. Someone told me that they saw you and Rudy snogging yesterday. "
"Did not!"
"Did too!"
This went on for several minutes, both of them squabbling like two siblings before reaching an agreement that they would stay friends while Victor would give Rudy a chance.
—————
The heavy mahogany door creaked open again, letting a beam of golden sunlight spill out across the floor, turning it a cross between honey and burnished oak. Rudy was sitting at the side, whittling away at a piece of wood with a small chisel, hurriedly stashing then behind his back when Victor came in, relaxed posture snapping into tense, then relaxing once he realised who it was. He took the whittled piece of wood and tossed it in the air, catching it with a swift movement while taking a bite out of an apple. 

Victor followed the movement with his eyes, much like how an inquisitive cat would follow the movement of a butterfly. Victor started, feeling Rudy's eyes on him, and said "Felicie broke up with me, and she agreed that we would stay friends while I would go out...on a date...with you? " 

He was about to revoke his invitation and slump out the door when Rudy smiled, a benevolent being of light and grace, and merely offered his hand as an invitation, white teeth gleaming. "Why not?"
—————
It soon became obvious how Rudy was absolutely horrendous at trying to loosen up, so Victor just grabbed his hand and led him back to the Opera. On the way back, Rudy was extremely quiet, wondering if he had lost his only chance with Victor. When Victor took a left instead of a right, going down a passageway and into a dark stairwell leading up, he smiled at Rudy. "You're going to love this."
—————
The stairway came out into a small platform — Rudy realised they were in the rafters. Victor hopped across the rafters with a sort of careless grace, smiling at Rudy from the other end, beckoning. 

Rudy gulped, a rare show of nervousness, and Victor padded back. "Don't worry, it's safer than it looks. I'll be with you the entire time. " Rudy nodded, and took the first step out, Victor at his side and leading him across slowly. 

The first time was tense, the second time was relaxed and the third time had them leaping across, touching the wall, then spinning around and leaping back with great strides, willow boards bending slightly under their weight. Rudy's heart leapt out of his chest when Victor slipped, going sprawling. He immediately took a jump, not caring for his own safety, landing lightly and scooping Victor up in one fluid motion. They were nose to nose, brown eyes staring into blue eyes, neither of them moving until Rudy moved his head and brushed a light kiss against Victor's lips, a butterfly kiss, one that set both their cheeks aflame.
—————
"Bye Rudy, see you tomorrow."
"Bye Vicky, love you. Oh yeah, this is for...you." He handed Victor the piece of wood he had been whittling at, it was a rough mimicry of a chess knight, yet far better than anything Victor could make. Victor took it and turned it over in his hands, feeling every plane and edge with his nimble fingers, Rudy watching him do it. Finally, he opened his mouth, and said:
"Vicky?"
"You don't like it?"
"Not really my style, but okay. Thanks for the gift!"
"Whatever you say, sweet cheeks."
"Nope, I'm sticking with Vicky. Good night, angel."
"Good night."