Chapter 8: Moving Proposal

More driving, But now his family Was perked up, Aphmau looking out the window, watching the shadows of the morning roll by.

"Hey Babe?" Aaron asked, and she gave him a little hum to let him know she was listening.

"What do you think about... Marriage?" He could see her physically recoil, not a good sign, but after a moment, she relaxed and turned to face him.

"Umm... Never thought it would be something I needed to think about." She smiled, and he could tell that she wasn't that comfortable talking about it.

"You looked uncomfortable when I asked, you know you can tell me anything." She looked away for a moment and sighed.

"My Mom never got Married. Dad proposed, then got caught cheating a week before the wedding. I was born three months later, Dad had already left." Aaron now felt like the scum of the earth, he just had to bring it up, didn't he.

"Sorry... knew he left, but I never knew he did that...." He trailed off thinking, until finally Aphmau piped up.

"Why are you asking anyway?" Aaron went red, and tried to keep his eyes glued to the road.

"Well, We're mates, I can't feel any pleasure from anyone else now, I couldn't mate with anyone else even if I wanted to. I was just thinking, what we did back in freshman year, we jumped into a really big commitment, we have a baby, Aph." I looked in my mirror, Aphmau's face was red, but it was also content.

"I don't regret that Aaron, I know we were kids in love, still are really, but spending the rest of my life with you, is still what I plan to do." He grinned, and felt his face flush with even more heat.

"That's why I asked, we've been together for a long time, as lovers and friends, It was just, a thought, Maybe you'd want my last name." He looked away, he knew it would take her a second to process what he said, and he heard a quiet gasp from beside him.

"Are you-?"

"Asking you to marry me?" He finished for her, Smiling but still keeping an eye on the road.

"Depends, That's If the answers yes." He smirked and Aphmau fell silent, It was obvious she was in turmoil.

"I... Yes.... I will marry you." Aaron felt his heart light up in joy, but felt it fall at her next words.

"I will marry you if you decide to ask me with a ring and an actual proposal, and we're not in your run-down hunk of metal." She was smirking so it's obvious she was being both serious and sarcastic.

"So What you're saying is, ask again later?" Aaron responded, his heart a little heavy from the rejection.

"Yes Aaron, If we're serious about this, then we need to wait until we're out of school." Aaron smiled, finally they reached their first destination.

A road side attraction, the House of Mystery, aka, A house full of very fake pictures and an extremely fake man trying to make a quick buck.

"So I ask you again in two years?" He asked, finishing up their conversation.

"Then the answer will be yes." Katelyn's blue van pulls up behind them and Aphmau picks up Mia in her Car seat, and places her in her collapsible stroller.

"Hey guys!" Travis rolls out of the passenger seat, stretching and yawning, Katelyn looking a little sick.

"Hey Travis, Katelyn you look Ill, are you alright?" Aphmau asked, fighting a very upset Mia who wanted nothing more than to climb on every available surface.

"Uh... Motion sickness, It'll pass. So should we go in?" Travis grabbed her hand, and Aaron placed his on top of Aphmau's, that was holding onto Mia's stroller.

"Yeah, we'll stay here a couple nights, then it's back in the road."