Chapter 27 Avengers

"The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a neutral world, a human world. They wield its power, but our ally knows it's working, so that they never will learn. He's ready to lead, and our force, our Chitauri will follow. The world will be his and the universe yours. And the humans, what can they do, but burn."

"How bad is it?" Fury asked.

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know." Agent Coulson said. "Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hour ago."

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to pull the test phase." Fury pointed out.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement" Phil told him.

"It just turned itself on? What are the engine levels now?" Fury asked.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac." Coulson said.

"How long to get everyone out?" Fury asked.

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour." Was his reply.

"Do better." Fury said.

"Sir, evacuation maybe futile." Hill said.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury asked.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance." Hill told him.

"I need you to make sure that phase." Fury started.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Hill asked.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of phase 2 on a truck and gone." Fury said.

Hill nodded and then barked some orders. "Yes, sir. Come with me."

_______________________________________

"Talk to me, Doctor." Fury said to Dr. Selvig.

"Director." Selvig nodded to him.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asked.

"Tesseract is misbehaving." Selvig said.

"Is that supposed to be funny?" Fury asked.

"No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active, she's...misbehaving." Selvig corrected himself.

"How soon until you pull the plug?" Fury asked concerened.

"She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on. If she reaches peak level..." Selvig said.

"We've prepared for this, doctor. Harnessing energy from space." Fury pointed out.

"We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation." Selvig explained.

Fury looked at him seriously. "That can be harmful. Where's Agent Barton?" He asked.

"The Hawk? Up in his nest, as usual." Selvig told him.

"Agent Barton, report to me." Fury said. Agent Barton jumped down. "I gave you this detail so you could keep a close eye on things." Fury told him.

"I can see better from a distance." Barton replied.

"Are you seeing anything that might set this thing off?" Fury asked.

"No one come or gone. It's oven is clean. No contacts, no I.M.'s. If there was any tampering, sir, it wasn't at this end." Clint said.