Madan Lal Dhingra

As the British cracked down, more ruthlessly on the revolutionaries in India and England, the anger against their atrocities grew more. It kept growing till the boiling point had been reached, and the time was ripe for an outbreak. All it needed was one single spark to light the flame. And that spark came in the form of a strapping young land from Punjab, Madan Lal Dhingra. Hailing from Amritsar, the sixth born of the city's Civil Surgeon, two of his brothers were doctors, while two other were barristers. Coming from a well to do and influential family, Dhingra, could have settled into a life of luxury and comfort. Yet he was restless, driven by the call for Swadeshi, right from his student days at the Government College, Lahore in 1904. He led the student protest there against having to forcibly wear a blazer made of imported cloth, which led to his expulsion in turn. Having extensively studied about poverty and famines in India, he felt that only Swaraj( Self Government) was the solution. For some time, he worked as a clerk at a Tanga service in Kalka, Shimla, where his attempts to organize an union came to nought. It was then on the advice of his brother, he went to London, for studying the Diploma Course in Civil Engineering at University College between 1906-09. A very illustrious institution of learning where Dadabhai Naoroji was Professor of Gujarati and Ravindranath Tagore studied English Literature.

Like most other Indian students in England, he was a regular to the India House founded by Shyamji Krishna Verma. His initial days, were spent in frolic and fun, and his good looks ensured, he was in the company of women mostly.  While he did attend the Free India Society meetings,he somehow never really trusted them much, though he had all the respect for Savarkar.  He however had a visceral hatred for the British, due to the racism he experienced first hand during Government service. Add to it deeply racist articles like Babu Black Sheep in the Cassel's Weekly made him even more furious.

The turning point came, at a meeting in India House that was addressed by Savarkar.  Khudiram Bose had been hanged on October 11, 1908 and this deeply upset Dhingra. He felt guilty  that while youngsters in India were dying for the nation, here he was enjoying the good life in London and doing nothing. In order to get over the depression and guilt, he threw himself into music and dance.  And during once such meeting which Savarkar was addressing, he was disturbed by the loud music and dancing in the next room.  Furious he stormed into the room.

"What is the matter? You only talk of action and bravery, avoid coming to our weekly meetings. Is this your bravery? Do not come to our meetings if you do not wish to, but at least stop disturbing them."

The stinging rebuke by Savarkar had it's desired effect, and for quite some time Dhingra was not seen around India House. Too ashamed to show his face, and fearful of facing Savarkar's wrath, he kept away. Until one day, summoning all the courage, he came face to face with Savarkar again at India House. Savarkar however had moved on from the past incident, and spoke normally with Dhingra. 

And one fine day Dhingra raised the question, now feeling much assured.

  "Has the time for martyrdom come?".   

Savarkar looked back.

"If a martyr's mind has resolved, and if he is ready to face all the consequences, it might be said then that the time for martrydom has arrived"

The doubts that were clouding Dhingra's mind had been resolved, he was now clear about his course of action. He purchased a six chamber Colt revolver and took shooting lessons in a school run by one Mr.Morley at Tottenham Road. He then joined the National Indian Association, founded by Surendranath Banerjee and Ananda Mohan Bose in 1876. The Association was primarily a gathering of moderate Indian nationalists, who denounced extremism and believed in peaceful negotiation with the British. Dhingra acted as a double agent of sorts, publicly denouncing Savarkar in front of the British, to win their favor. He soon won the trust of Ms.Emma Josephine Beck, the secretary of the Association, and got to know the timings of visits of important officials. He had a fake "falling out" with Savarkar to convince the British officials, and also left India House. Staying for some time at Ledbury Road, in 1909, he began to plot the assassination of one of the most important British officials, Lord Curzon Wylie.