-sixtythree-

—sixtythree-

THERE WAS A strange feeling about him being here. As he walked over to the platform - only ever used during the Harvest - I noticed how tensed he appeared, like the weight of all his secrets were finally tapping at the cracks, threatening to spill if only someone knew why he was here.

He walked up towards the microphone assembled by one of the custodians, an awful undertone screeching through the static speakers.

"Marvis Maze - founder." He introduced himself. "Insusceptibles, residents of The Dormir, we have everything under control." Something twisted inside of my stomach during his declaration. Insusceptibles, residents of The Dormir... Unbeknownst to everyone, diving us into the true states of our population: immunes, and not immunes.

"They're simply false alarms." He continued. "No one has breached the rule, no infected have got in. We know that in future, all precautions and safety measures are in check if the time ever comes to use them, but for now, we apologise for the worry, and assure you that everything is as it's meant to be. There will be a routine medical check up tomorrow in which I have full confidence that each of you will receive the predicted results. I'll be back early next week for the ceremony of new Insusceptibles. Thank you."

Everyone seemed to exhale at his words apart from Ava and myself who shared a knowing look.

"Another checkup!" MiKinley groaned, the panic from earlier seeming to already have disappeared.

"We always have to have them before a new Harvest." Thea reminded him.

"I know, but they hurt." He continued to whine. My heart winced at his words. They hurt him? They weren't designed to... I worried that it was an affect of his sickness catching up to him.

"Hey, where's Charleston?" Ava asked me.

Another groan from MiKinley. "I'll take that as my cue to head to breakfast." I watched him leave with Thea, hoping that the next time I saw him again, I'd know a way to save him.

"Um," I searched my head for a helpful answer. "I think he wants us to meet him. Maybe at the Grey Range?"

"It's as good of a place as any." She supported me, walking alongside to find him. With the sea of people everywhere, I knew we wouldn't be caught, so we took our time on our way up there, bracing ourselves for the weight of everything.

Just as expected, we were greeted at the back entrance by Alistair.

"M-m-morning ladies."

"Morning Alistair," I replied back.

"They're a-all inside w-w-waiting f-for you. Charleston was g-g-gonna send out a sear-ch party if you d-didn't arrive soon."

We laughed at his statement and stepped past, bravely stepping into our fate. Ava took of hold of my hand, squeezing to calm me. As we entered the room, I was met with familiar faces, but not all who I had expected to see in here.

I was instinctively ready to let go of Ava's hand before remembering that they were all here because I what had organised. I saw Charleston, of course, standing over a room full of people. Alistair was here, Patrick, Gus - Billie, Harriett and Alina who would sometimes sit with us - and two knew faces who I'd don't know. Didn't remember...

One was older than me. Middle age, beard, tall. His eyes were kind as he looked at me, and there was something proud shining behind them as if he had been waiting knowingly for me to get this far. He introduced himself to Ava and I as Fortello.

The other was a young boy who seemed far too warm and golden to be in such a place. His dark skin had a soft glow under the dim lights, and his small figure led me to believe he was not much older than 13.

"That's Griffin." Charleston spoke, sounding particularly fond of the young boy.

"Do you remember me, Pip?" He beamed.

Charleston coughed awkwardly, hurrying to speak before anyone grew upset. "She was affected quite strongly by the Alteration, Griff. She can't help what she forgot."

"It's okay," I gave Charleston a soft look.

I turned to face Griffin, crouching down a bit so I was closer to him and more his height. "I could tell we had met. I just need you remind me how."

"Griffin was friends with my sister." Charleston spoke up. I looked over at him smiling, but it quickly fell when I saw the heartache on his face. I couldn't understand what had happened, and I knew it would take a lot considering that I didn't even remember he had a sister, or what had happened between them to chase such a strong reaction.

Patrick quickly stood up to divert the attention away from Charleston's state of unease, and I wondered over to him, pulling him to an empty seat next to me at the back.

Patrick clapped his hands together. "Now that we're all here, um, I guess it's time to start the Plan. Uh, officially, I guess." He was obviously nervous and thrown off guard, but turned to the board behind him to piece things together.

"Hey, are you alright?" I whispered, taking Charleston's hands into mine.

He took a few seconds to process everything, looking up at me for clarity. He was in shock of some kind and I didn't want to push him to tell me why until he was ready.

"Um..." he breathed, at a loss for words. "I- I'm..." He was always so collected and certain in what he was saying, and it was usually me in a struggle to speak. I hoped whatever it was, it was something I could fix.

"Yeah. Uh, I'll be okay." He told me, but I think he was tying to convince himself more than me. He held my hands in his, keeping me close to him. "Thank you. You always bring me back."

-sixtythree—
A longer chapter because my exams start this week.
I injured my foot in a game this week and I might need surgery again if it doesn't heal so that's how my life's going! It's been so painful, but I'm finally able to put a little weight on it so that's good.

Did you like this chapter?  Do you think there's good or bad to come?
And Pip and Charleston at the end are so precious.

If you want to follow me on IG, my user is @/ nicolecalland. Just DM me telling me who you are from Wattpad and I should accept!

Hopefully going to be able to get the final film for Counterfeit sometime this week, so that I  can release it for you guys 01/09/18.
-
If you could please keep praying for friend who is fighting cancer, it would mean the absolute world to me! I'm not sure how she's doing. We had some really great and impossible news recently, but then she had some setbacks and I honestly have no clue what God's plan is for her, but I just want Him to keep my friend alive. If you could ask Him to do that for me, you would be making my heart so full. Believe in what you pray for. Jesus is a miracle worker. He has already proved that so many times in her fight, but we need more, and the only one capable of destroying the powers of death is Christ, so that is why we must turn to Him.
Than you. 💜