"The last day with Pat"

"Miss Lindsey!" I look back when I hear someone calling me. I see Mrs. Johnson doing a sign with his hand for me to approach her.

I smile and walk closer to where she is "Yes?"

"I wanted to talk with you about..." she stops talking and gives me a sweet smile "I know your husband is leaving tomorrow"

I softly frown "Mm yeah, how do you know that?"

I never mentioned to anyone from here what is happening, I only said that Pat was part of the army. I did that because working is my scape of all the bad thoughts that comes to my mind.

I'm proud of him, I really am. But these days I've been very sensitive and I cry for everything so it's better like that for now.

"My husband was part of the army too and well, he knows what is happening in Ireland right now and I know your husband is needed there"

I sigh "Yes" I look at my watch. 3:15 pm. I'm gonna be late. "Sorry Mrs. Johnson but I don't like to talk about it and I have to go home"

She gives a soft look "I know how are you feeling, I was in your place a while ago. And if you need some days to be alone and in peace, you can take them"

"No... It's not necessary. I'm gonna be okay, I love my work and the kids"

"I know that, but at least take a day free, just tomorrow"

Well, probably mom is gonna arrive tomorrow and I could help her with the move and would distract me of everything.

I nod and smile at her "Thank you so much"

"And if you need someone to talk, you can count with me"

...

I enter to kitchen and the smell of a chocolate cake coming from the oven is all over the room. I smile.

The last time I did this was when we were in Ireland. It was Patrick's birthday and I wanted to surprise him. I did a surprise party, all his friends and family were there. I loved how he got excited over it. It was a very amazing day.

Now, I'm doing it cause he's leaving.

I close my eyes "Don't go there Lindsey" I say to myself walking to the oven and turning it off.

I take one of the kitchen gloves and slowly open the oven. I take the cake and carefully put it on the table.

"Mmm this needs some fruits" I go to the refri and take the bowls with strawberries and blueberries. I put them in the table and let the cake freeze for a little.

"Lindsey?" I smile as I hear Pat's voice

"In the kitchen!"

A few seconds later he's at the door looking at me with a big smile.

"Smells delicious" he enters and when he's in front of me he puts his arms around my waist making me laugh "chocolate, my favorite"

"Yeah, it was a surprise" he kisses me, his beard tickling me and makes me chuckle a little "I think someone needs a shave"

"Yes?" he kisses me again.

"Yep and a shower" I joke and he starts laughing.

The little lines around his eyes appear and his cheeks start to be a little red. That makes him look adorable.

"Oh Mrs. Quinlan, you could do something with that" he gives me a funny look and I shake my head.

"Me? No..." I pull away as I bite my lower lip "I have to finish this" I point at the cake