6; Hospital corridors

Xara Ellipsis

Tink...tink..tink-splashes every individual drop cascading from the brightly polished sink just three centimeters from my forehead.

 It isn't really a sink, however, but a drip chamber. Indeed, that beautifully-crafted helper suspended in the oxygen-filled air offering nothing but pure essences of life within my scorching, blood-run, ravenous veins.

 Its material is made from that complex substance also known as plastic, though used more frequently when contrived over a millenium ago, since now in this world I have reluctantly brought you in  (I wouldn't want you to get infected, would I? Or die locked inside your very skull, either) the main material utilized for this marvelous medical contraption derives from various atoms, newly discovered.

 The name! What is the name? H...at least I am aware of the initial letter. It's a start; without it, I couldn't  go anywhere. Remember the point in geometry? That doesn't have a start, either. I am afraid that is all I can tell you regarding the neo-atom.

 Welcome to this dystopian planet, visitor.

 What am I doing here? I am simply laying down in a hospital bed-what a beautiful term!- crisp, white sheets made from another material, one I remember well. Why do I recall its name? I was born in-between sheets, I can clearly remember that moment my mother first laid eyes on my incarnated soul.

 'Her eyes, look at her eyes!' she whispered, tears glinting under that lamp the doctors were constantly adjusting.

 And I remember glaring back at hers. They were incredible-hazel-blue. How can eyes be of such an extravagant colour, you ask? It can happen, and in my world, the eyes of the humans on Chione have become peculiarly brighter and bluer.

 Evolution must be the cause, Reader. If not, what else? I couldn't certainly invent another hypothesis regarding such a matter.

 I must admit-the presence surrounding my mother has been absent in my waking life for quite sometime. I wonder where she could be...

 Wonder...wander? Wander! I ought to carry that out at this instant. I can leave my technologically-withdrawn bed-yes, I must say how daunting it is to be in one of the world's greatest hospitals and yet still be found in the least welcoming of wards-and roam about the other wards, visiting patients when an as how I please.

 First, I need to remove the grip of the drip chamber. Only then will I be fully capable of moving away for just an hour.

 I steadily sit up, pray to God for further protection and kiss the cross necklaced on my windpipe.

 Recoiling, the needle is plucked from my greenest vein and left to dangle in the oxygen. In order not to allow any fluids to be wasted, I decide to replace it in the sink provided, pushing the button required for enclosing the drain.

 Wearily, I cling to my right arm and attempt to stand. I slump back down uselessly onto the technologically-withdrawn bed.

 "You've got to do this," I whisper to my awkward self.

 With all the strength and determination I now withhold, my Xarian body urges itself forward in the vicinity of the blinded windows.

 It is so darkly-blue in here, I think to myself, feeling as though I were a fish in some sort of aquarium. Only this fish is being observed by not even a living mind. Lonesome, lonely, sabishii, as the Japanese say.

 Regarding the Japanese, I wonder how Jack is doing in his own...wander.

 "I must wander. Now." I force myself to hold onto the window lock, and, regaining my strength, I hobble around the bedside. Of course, without the sustenance of the white walls, I wouldn't even be able to stand, yet alone walk.