Absolutely

[Shintaro pov] - [italic and bold is Ayano thinking, bold is Shintaro]

He did see it, even if it was in a split second, he saw her scars. Why would she cut herself? Those five words echoed in his mind; he couldn't think about anything else.

She always had that sweet smile... was that really fake? But that smile could warm even the coldest hearts... My heart....

All throughout class his mind coudn't function the way it usually did; it really was unusual, well, he never really cared about anything. Why care now? Was it the fact that she was his only friend? Why? His eyes widened, a hand partially covering his face as a faint blush was seen able on his cheeks.

Do I like Ayano..?

Now he really couldn't focus at all; a flustered boy with a blush that darkens ever so slowly, stumbling around lost in his own thoughts. Time seemed to pass slowly; the world around him just passing him by, leaving him alone again. That was how he was before she came along; she dragged him along, pulling him out of his thoughts. She was the light that guided him out of that darkness, she was his happiness, he had to stop her cutting.

What should I do..? I-I... I do like her don't I..? I can't let her do this to herself...

When school ended, he waited for her at the door; it was still raining, but it was getting harder. She rushed so she wouldn't keep him waiting, she had forgotten her umbrella; they were the last ones out of the school, so the doors were locked. He didn't have an umbrella either, but when he saw that she was getting soaked, he took off his coat and put it over her head.

"You'll catch a cold.." He looked away, his hand still on her head.

"What about you? You'll get sick!!" She worried, a light blush appearing at the thought of what he did for her.

"Yeah so? I don't want you to get sick, though... I'm sure I'll be fine.." He muttered, still looking away.

"Okay..." Her voice trailed off, she looked at him.

Uwaa... Shintaro might get sick... because of me....

Her pace slowed to a stop, she stood in the rain, only his coat shielding her. He turned around to see her crying, maybe that was rain, though? He turned around, walking towards her; why was she crying?

"H-hey... what's wrong..? Why are you crying..?" His voice showed that he was worried.

"I-it's nothing... I'm fine.." Her voice trailed off.

"There's obviously something wrong.. you can tell me.." He lowered his voice, he was really worried about her.

She shook her head, feeling that she couldn't tell anyone; this was her problem, not his. Wiping away her tears, she plastered on yet another smile, though he could already see through it. Well, even if he knew she wasn't really smiling, she did it anyway; it was a habit now. He let out a sigh, knowing that she wouldn't tell him no matter how much he would pester her, but he did know that he could support her by being by her side.

He pulled her into a hug; in that moment, time seemed to slow, the rain falling around them, it was almost like everything revolved around them. She was really happy that he'd hug her, since she really needed one right now.

She mouthed three words to him, then returned to the warm embrace. Thank you, Shintaro. She let out a relieved, ragged sigh; she felt safe in his arms.

No matter what she does, no matter how dumb she is, no matter how much she could smile; he absolutely loved her. He couldn't bring himself to say it yet, but he knew he did. Somewhere deep inside, he always did. She was the light in his darkness, even when she wasn't really smiling, it almost seemed like she was; that smile was so.. Heart warming. The hug lasted as long as she needed, see, he learned to be the last one to let go when hugging because he'd never know how much someone needed it. Her face buried in his shoulder, for some reason she really couldn't stop crying, but she felt relieved that he was comforting her; not forcing her to tell him anything she didn't want to. Rain continued to fall, almost like it was falling everywhere except where they stood. When she could finally stop crying, she pulled back a bit to look up at him. Her hands still balled against the back of his uniform, a smile on her lips, and the tears that were at the edges of her eyes had disappeared. She felt better now, but... they were soaking wet now. Her cocoa-coloured hair darker since it was dripping with chilling water, her slightly baggy uniform clung to her skin, her wind catching skirt weighed down against her thighs. Soon rain turned to a light drizzle, the sun would soon dry everything and maybe even "dry out" her sadness; for now.

I... I love you... Shintaro... maybe you can save me..? Thank you... for noticing... for not forcing me to tell you everything  right now... for staying by my side... for not ignoring these accidental signs I've shown you....