rain.

He tipped his head back, allowing the many droplets of water to land on his face.  His eyes remained closed as the water collected on his lashes, before it weighed them down and fell to his skin.  It took only moments before his entire person was soaked.  Steady streams of rain water ran from his uniform.  It beaded in large, transparent domes atop his Exorcist badge.

He was still weak...
Still so far behind.

         His nails dug into his palms.  Rin was still so much better at so many things.

        Thunder rumbled overhead.

        And he was the one thing that he despised the most...

A demon.

            Had his father known about his dormant powers and kept such a truth from him?  Instead of listening to his father he should have just continued trying to dig up his past.  He should have continued questioning his father for the truth rather than smothering that flame of rebellious pride.

            "Yukio,"

            A voice cut through the gentle splashing of raindrops and rumbling thunder.

            Yukio opened his eyes.  "(Name)," he answered with the same quietness.

            She stepped forward across the wet stone to stand next to him.  She didn't ask if anything was bothering him or what he was doing out here all by himself.  Instead, she simply said:

            "Rain is lovely.  So purifying and clean.  It always helps to clear my head."

            (Name) reached up, taking his rain-covered glasses carefully in her hands.  She inspected them before smiling, "These are really any use in the rain, are they?"

            Yukio shook his head.  "No," he replied without moving too much.

            She tucked the glasses away in one of his pockets before looking at him.

            "Yukio," she said.  "I love you.  Even though, we might not share everything with each other.  I really do love you... more than anything.  And those feelings will never change."

            The young Exorcist's eyes widened in surprise, and he turned his whole body to look at her.  He had been so angry and confused with himself lately.  Would she really continue to love him with the secrets he was keeping? 

           He wasn't nearly as open as his older brother.  He sighed.  Nii-san seemed to beat him at everything.  He was affectionate and affirmative to the people he cared about, whereas Yukio learned to bury those feelings behind a mask.  It was a necessary skill when confronting demons of any kind.

But...
(Name) wasn't a demon.  
She was (Name); his girlfriend.
She was someone for which Yukio cared deeply.

         "I love you, too, (Name)," Yukio said finally while leaning down to rest his forehead against her own.

Thank you.  I promise that will never change.