Chapter 2: Roommate

Chapter 2:

I slid into the passenger's seat of Jace's jeep, dropping my backpack on the floor between my legs.

"Sorry for the wait," Jace apologized.

 Jace always arrived long after carpool was over, and each time he'd apologize for his tardiness. I hated waiting alone in the deserted library, but I knew Jace was trying his hardest. He had dreamed of becoming a cardiologist, but after our parents' deaths, he retracted his college enrollment, instead saving his tuition money so that he could eventually put me through college. He works as many hours as he can at the front desk of a nearby hospital in order to pay the bills. He's basically my hero. So I cut him some slack on the whole carpool thing.

"It happened again, Jace," I looked down as my hands twisted in my lap.

"Did you take your medication, Liv? If it's not working, I can try to find time to take you – "

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually," I tried to ease his concern. I knew he couldn't afford to take any time off from work.

"Liv, you can't overcome your panic attacks until you know what's causing them. Dr. Umbridge told you that," Jace shook his head, every so often taking his eyes off of the road to look at me.

"Can we get burgers for dinner?" I tried to change the subject. I saw the corner of Jace's mouth turn up, but it slowly disappeared as he turned to look at me.

"Not tonight. There's something we need to talk about when we get home," I could tell by Jace's expression that whatever it was would be something I didn't like.

I rested my head against the seat, staring straight ahead at the road, my mind listing all of the possible topics for this mysterious conversation.

As soon as we reached our apartment, I headed straight for my room, but Jace's voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Wait," he commanded, and when I turned around, his arms were folded over his chest, and his face portrayed a look that said "You didn't think I forgot, did you?"

My shoulders sunk as I shuffled back over to him, allowing my body to collapse onto the couch.

"Go ahead," I waved, "Tell me whatever it is I don't want to hear."

Jace released a long sigh as he sat down next to me. Whenever he got frustrated, his eyebrows would crease ever so slightly, and the movement would make a strand of his slicked back hair fall right over his eye. I watched as he brushed the piece back to its normal position, all the while trying to come up with a way to tell me what he needed to say.

"Starting tonight," he began, "We're going to have a roommate."

"A roommate?" My head angled in confusion, and my eyes silently asked him for an explanation.

"A family friend. He needs a place to stay because his mom got a job offer in another state," he continued, but I was still beyond perplexed.

"Why can't he go with her? And if it's a 'he,' I presume he's staying in your room?" I inquired.

"Yes, he will," Jace chuckled, "And he is a senior at Riverview. It's too difficult for him to transfer to another school in a different state after his senior year has already started."

"I'm sure they could work things out," I shrugged and gave him an innocent look.

"Liv..." Jace shook his head in disapproval, but I could see a hint of a smile cross his face.

"So, who is this mystery guest? Do I know him?" I watched as all traces of a smile disappeared from Jace's face.

"Brennen Pierrce," Jace barely even spoke his name before I was on my feet opposing his decision.

"No, Jace! No way in hell am I letting that guy live with us! He can live on the street for all I care!" I shouted, but Jace stood, towering above me, the lock of hair once again hanging above his eye.

"Olivia! You don't get a say in this. Dianna asked me to do this. She's been there for us, so the least we can do is return the favor," he brushed his hair back in place once again.

"Return the favor? Neither of us moved into their house, Jace! And neither of us are as horrible as Brennen!" I felt tears well up as his name emerged from my lips, but Jace wasn't moved by my emotions. He's known me for sixteen years now, so no matter how overemotional I get, he doesn't budge.

"It's not just about the favor, Liv. He's paying one-hundred a month and he can drive you to and from school. I can add more hours at work. We need the money, Olivia. This helps. A lot," Jace had noticeably relaxed as he sat on the armrest of the sofa.

I was about to speak when a knock on the door alerted us both. I knew who it was, and I sure as hell wasn't sticking around. I bolted toward my room, and this time Jace didn't stop me. I slammed my bedroom door, pressing my ear against it, listening to my brother welcome our new roommate. A tear trailed down my cheek as I listened to Jace give Brennen a tour.

After another minute, I'd had enough, and started a hot, steamy shower.