Chapter 1

"Hey!" I shouted, trying to catch his attention, pushing through the large mass of people that were flooding the hallway. We had been separated from each other in the stampede adults call a hallway. "Sherlock!"

I saw him turn, a slightly startled look on his face, and I waved energetically. I pushed my way through the crowded hallway, and finally got to him. He was standing stock still in the middle of the hallway, looking at me with a straight face.

"Hey Charlotte," he said monotonically.

"Oh come on!" I said. "You've got to be excited! It's our first day of high-school!" I got no reaction. I sighed, and said, "Well, what classes do you have? Maybe we have some of the same ones."

This got a reaction from him. He pulled out his schedule, and I pulled out mine. We had the exact same classes.

"I persuaded the principal to give us the same classes," Sherlock said.

"Did you blackmail her?" I asked, frowning.

"No, she owed me a favor. She was going to be arrested for drug use, and I provided evidence that it was her husband," Sherlock said smugly.

"Oh, Sherlock!" I said, trying to contain a laugh.

"Shall we continue to Homeroom?" Sherlock asked.

"Yes, yes we shall," I said, imitating his tone of voice. For that, I got a rare smile.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Homeroom:

We arrived at homeroom just as the bell rang. Sherlock slipped into a seat at the front of the class, and I sat down beside him. He looked at the teacher scrutinizingly, and I knew he was deducing her.

"Give my apologies to Miss Cline, and tell her I hope her cold clears up soon so she can teach us and you can go back to running your daycare," Sherlock said.

I face-palmed.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Math:

"I give my deepest condolences to you on the loss of your 3rd husband, and I hope that you have  better luck with the fourth one tonight."

I smacked him upside the head.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Art:

"I'm sorry you didn't get the job you wanted, and that your husband just left you for your neighbor."

I buried my head in my hands.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Gym:

"You're cheating on your wife with the Librarian, but she's cheating on you with the secretary of her office, so you don't need to worry about the divorce papers."

I banged my head against the wall.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

On the bus:

"Did you really have to deduce every single teacher in the school?" I asked, exasperated.

"I thought I'd make a good first impression," Sherlock said.

I sighed. "Sherlock, we really need to work on your people skills."

I felt a thump from the seat behind us as someone sat there.

"Hey, Belle," the boy behind us said.

I sighed, and looked over at Sherlock.

"New record!" I said sarcastically. "Fastest amount of time someone has asked me out!"

"Belle!" The boy said again.

I turned around. "Yes?" I asked sweetly.

"Would you go out with me Belle?" The boy asked, lovestruck.

"My name's not Belle," I said.

"I know," the boy said. "But you're a beauty and you hanging out with a beast."

My eyes hardened, and I saw Sherlock instinctively straighten up, meaning he was hurt. I balled up my fists and I punched the boy, hard in the jaw. Cat-calls and wolf-whistles erupted throughout the bus. I shook out my fist, and said to the boy, "In case you couldn't get that through that thick head of yours, that's a 'NO!'"

I turned around, and sat back down beside Sherlock.

"Nice punch," he commented.

"Thanks," I said. "I hope I broke something. If not, he'll have a nasty bruise in the morning."

Sherlock laughed, a loud barking, "HA!"

I burst into laughter.