Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning and nothing of significant importance happened until we got on the bus, so why should you have to listen to our daily routine again. If you so dreadfully wanted to know what happened that morning, it was just like the morning before just with loads of secret kisses.

On the bus was when all hell broke loose. Sherlock and I got on the bus, and he pulled me into an empty seat and kissed me lovingly. Richard Brooks sneered at us, and I shot him a dirty look before turning to kiss Sherlock again.

The kids who hadn't seen us kiss the first time sure did now, and all the boys groaned, while there was a flurry of exchanged money from the girls.

"Sorry Richard," Sherlock said, taunting. "But she's been mine a long time, it just became official last night."

Boys pulled faces, and I smirked at Sherlock. Leave it to him to get all the boys to leave me alone just by implication.

Focus was the worst part of the day. Richard kept glaring at me, and Miss Cline stared at me as if she expected me to jump out of my seat and declare I had murdered someone.

Another piercing scream ripped through the air, and I jumped and toppled out of my seat. Everyone nearly trampled each other on the way out the door, and as soon as we were in the hallway Sherlock and I pushed through the crowd to reach the front. Another girl had been murdered.

The girl was 6 foot 3" and had blonde hair that was dyed chestnut. She had blue eyes and was an orphan, I could see a tag on her shirt branded with the London Orphanage insignia. This girl had the same slit throat and cuts all over her arms and legs. Blood was pooled around her, but this time there was a message written eerily in blood on the walls. 'One more and then it's over!'

The science teacher was kneeling by her and checking her pulse; I was positive he'd find one, but a very weak one.

Someone grabbed my arm, and I jumped until I realized it was Sherlock.

"They're telling us to pair up," Sherlock said. "The principal said couples together."

I smiled and kissed him quickly on the cheek, making him smile and kiss me on the mouth.

A piercing shriek rang through the air once again, but it wasn't human. It was the equivalent of a dog whistle, but directed towards people. Girls screamed and nearly everyone dropped to the floor in pain.

I clutched at my ears, but I could tell the sound was coming from the air vents in the floor, so I screamed, "Get up! GET UP! The sound's coming from the floor!"

It was too late. The piercing whistle had knocked those closest to the floor unconscious.

"Sherlock!"

Sherlock was leaning against a chair, breathing heavily. I ran back into Miss Cline's classroom and grabbed two pairs of the noise blocking earmuffs she kept for SAT prep. I threw one to Sherlock and quickly strapped mine on. I ducked to the floor, where the whistle was just barely prying through the earmuffs I had on. I tore off the sheets covering the air vents, exposing an electronic mini-speaker blaring the piercing shriek disabling everyone. I picked up my foot and stomped on the mini-speaker, crushing it into smithereens. I could tell it had worked, because I could no longer hear the whistle through my earmuffs.

I tore off the earmuffs and touched my still ringing ears. I felt something warm and sticky, and removed my hand to expose blood. I wiped away the blood as Sherlock turned around, and about three paramedics burst into the room.

One of them expressed something, but I couldn't hear it; no sound was traveling through my ears. I was deaf. Instead of focusing on the fact that I couldn't hear anything, I stared at the lips of the paramedics, reading their words as they spoke.