CHAPTER ELEVEN

( ELEVEN : NOT MY DADDY )

AFTER DROPPING OFF Charlotte with Harper, Elissa made her way over to where some the guys were getting ready to head out on the hunt

AFTER DROPPING OFF Charlotte with Harper, Elissa made her way over to where some the guys were getting ready to head out on the hunt. Atom stood in the middle of the group, handing out knives and handmade spears to everyone who needed one.

"We're going to need a few more people if we're going to actually catch anything," Atom was telling one of the other guys as she arrived. When he spotted her, he gave her a nod and eyed her curiously. "You in, Bardot?" he called out to her.

Taken aback at his willingness to talk to her, she hesitated, eyes widening slightly in shock as she stared at him. Except for the few who she interacted with the most, everyone else gave her a wide berth—treating her warily—or ignoring her entirely.

His attitude was refreshing and she felt an honest grin twitch at the corner of her lips in reply, her eyes crinkling with the sudden flash of happiness that shot through her.

"Definitely, count me in," she told him with a firm nod, ignoring the glances the other guys shared in response. Atom ignored them as well and tipped his head at her before turning back to the guy standing next to him.

When a agony filled scream broke through the morning air, everyone in the area froze, some turning to eye the dropship with worry—others with spite.

"God, I wish the guy would just die already," spat one of the guys in the hunting group, gripping his knife tightly as he eyes the dropship with a deep loathing that really settled poorly with Elissa.

Gritting her teeth, she shot him a total look of disgust as he kept talking. "Although, we won't have to listen to his incessant moaning when we're out. Thank God."

Rage flashed through her and she took a step toward him, dark satisfaction shooting through her when his eyes jumped up at her sudden movement. She would have found the way his eyes widened fearfully comical, if she weren't so disgusted with him.

"How about you shut up," she snapped at him, expression stormy, before extending her arm to point at the dropship. "Imagine if it were you in there fighting for your life, but you're in so much pain that all you can do is cry out? How would it make you feel to know that some assholes were complaining that you were inconveniencing them by trying to stay alive?" She spat at them, and he shifted nervously in his spot, glancing around, looking for a way out. But she wasn't done yet. "If a Grounder put a spear through you right now, would you want us to save you? Or would you rather I just slit your throat and put you out of your misery because you wouldn't stop your incessant moaning?"

When Atom purposely walked between them, breaking her glare, she snorted in disgust, turning away.

"Jasper is in there fighting for his life. So, how about you shut your fucking mouths and start wishing him a swift recovery."