CHAPTER FOURTEEN

( FOURTEEN : LULLABIES )

ANOTHER COUPLE OF HOURS went by before any of them dared to peek outside the cave and by that point, Elissa couldn't stop fidgeting; the feeling of being cooped up in such a small space becoming more unbearable the longer they say there

    She couldn't wait to get out of this little hell-hole.

    But the deathly, still silence outside the cave reminded her that it still wasn't safe to go outside.

    So they stayed.

    And they waited.

    It was clear that she wasn't the only one impatient to get out of there. Charlotte continuously shifted in her spot at the back of the cave and Bellamy appeared to be the only one even remotely relaxed with arms folded across his chest, hands tucked under his biceps, head resting on the cool rock behind him.

    However, one thing they all held in common was how intently they were all listening, ears straining, trying to hear any sign that the danger had finally passed.

    With a sigh, Elissa once again ran her fingers over the same rough uneven patch of ground—for what must have been the thousandth time—feeling for any pebbles she could add to the ever-growing pile at her side. The repetitive motion was soothing, keeping her mind focused on the task, distracting her from the never ending situation that she found herself stuck in.

    You should have stayed at the dropship...if you had, you wouldn't be stuck in a cave next to one of the most confusing guys you've ever met.

    The warm shoulder at her side reminded her that said confusing guy was still sitting patiently at her side, not seemingly bothered by the mind numbing boredom. Or her fidgeting. Or anything at all really.

    Bellamy confused her. It was as simple as that. Pretty much from the moment they had landed he'd been abrasive and antagonistic, going out of his way to put himself in charge of the rowdy group of delinquents he'd landed with and making sure that everyone knew that fact. And anyone who argued with that fact would answer to him.

    But he'd now saved her ass on more than one occasion. He'd stopped her from falling to her death; stopped Murphy from beating the daylights out of her to her wristband. And now...he'd done everything he could to help her with her panic attack.

    He even held your hands, for fuck's sake.

    Frowning, she placed a new round pebble at the top of her pile, only to watch with disinterest as it rolled off, clattering onto the cave floor.

    And he called you Elissa...

    Everything he'd done around her was a clear contradiction to the facade he presented to everyone else. She didn't know what to make of his seemingly split personality. And thinking about it was going to give her a headache.