Chapter Eight: The Author

The sky was overcast, despite the few rays of sunshine that were able to break a cloudy barrier. Link sat on a bench under a large oak tree, writing a letter. Little did he know that he was being watched.

One of the most renowned prankster escaped his class at summer school and decided to start some mischief.

As Link finished up what he was writing he sighed and looked at the emerald canopy above his head. He was deep in though, his heart and mind racing.

Link's thoughts were interrupted when his interloper leaned against his tree. "Who are you writing too?'

"HYA?!" Link jumped up to face Shadow. Papers flew through the air like the way snow decended from the heavens.

Shadow got ahold of one of the papers and started to read without concent. He quickly skimmed through the paper and started to smirk. "I see you're writing another love letter for Zelda. This one's pretty good..."

Link snatched the paper back and glared at his interloper. "How did you know I've been writing Zelda?"

"Hmm? Oh, about that...I remember you left one of the letters in the school library, I couldn't help but pick it up. Don't worry, I was able to hand deliver it," Shadow mumbled as he plucked a leaf off the tree and started to rip it to shreds little by little until green sap covered his fingertips.

Link shook his head in confusion. "Still, how would you know I wrote if you didn't open it? Wait, you didn't do that right?"

Shadow sighed in defeat. "First of all, I know your hand writing from anywhere. Second, everyone knows about your 'little' crush on Zelda Hyrule--"

"HOW?!"

"Isn't it obvious? You would blush like a tomato if Zelda was even near you."

"No one would notice that."

"People notice that, Link. Aaaaand maybe they would notice if Sidon told everyone that you like Zelda in the first place..."

Link was stunned silent at that remark. Shadow was known to lie and prank, but Link could definitely see Sidon getting over excited if his best friend gained a crush.

"He didn't tell Zelda, right?" Link sputtered.

Shadow rolled his eyes. "Of course not! That's your job, I can't do it for you and neither can Sidon, believe it or not."

The gears in Link's head started to turn. If no one had told Zelda he likes him it's either because they don't care OR they want Link to tell her himself.

"You want me to tell Zelda?" Link asked skeptically.

Shadow threw his hands up into the air in exasperation. "Of course I do! You think Sidon would ever shut up if you didn't? If you don't mind, please be quick about admitting your feelings because I can't tolerate Sidon much longer."

"I thought Zelda would have a boyfriend or something like that already," Link admitted. "Like Groose or--"

"Groose drives Zelda crazy," Shadow explained curtly. "You on the other hand...Zelda actually takes the time to tutor you even though you really don't need help!"

Link looked Shadow straight in the eye. "You really think so?"

Shadow rolled his eyes and put a hand on Link's shoulder. "I'd never think you'd be this hopeless when it came to Zelda, but I'm rooting for you buddy."

"That's nice of you to say," Link smiled.

"You do know that I want you to admit your feelings to Zelda to get Sidon to shut up," Shadow inquired. "Right?"

"Still," Link continued. "I never knew you had a nice bone in your body."

"Let's just keep that between the two of us," Shadow sighed and went on his way.

Author's Note

Sorry for the long wait! I've been so lazy lately 😂