31 - Peekaboo

I awoke in the hospital.

"Ugh," I groaned hoarsely. "Here again? Can't you guys be a little more original?"

The several people crowded around my bedside shot to attention, looking alarmed. Their gazes landed on me, and I winced when I saw the looks on their faces. 

I was in so much trouble.

"She's awake," Rokim breathed, breaking the silence first. Lisa was next to him, staring at me with equally shocked eyes.

"Yes, she is," Adrian confirmed, glaring down at me. Prof mirrored his expression, sitting in a chair with his broken leg propped up before him.

But one person was missing.

"Uh . . ." I trailed off awkwardly. Maybe opening with a complaint wasn't the best idea, judging by the fact I was in a room full of people I'd angered. "So . . . how've you guys been?"

"Ugh!" Rokim threw up his hands, shaking his head. "How have we been?" A chorus of angry cries followed his exclamation.

"Worried sick, that's how!"

"How could you play with your life like that?"

"Do you have any idea what could have happened?"

"Actually, I could be better, my favourite character on Game of Thrones just died—"

"Adrian!" Prof scolded. Adrian only shrugged in response. 

"What? She asked." He turned his bright green eyes back on me, askance. "Doesn't mean I'm happy with her, though."

I winced again. This was going about as well as I'd hoped. "In that case, I'd like to apologize—"

Lisa tsked sharply, cutting me off. I blinked in surprise. Out of all these people, I'd expected the least backlash from her. 

"We don't want your apology," Lisa said, staring me down sternly. "We want to know that you'll be safe."

Several nodding heads seconded her statement. I sighed, forcing my sore body up into a sitting position, and made sure to look them all in the eye.

"I'm going to say sorry anyway," I said, finally serious. "Because I am. I am truly sorry it happened."

That seemed to curb their frustration, if only a little. I continued, encouraged by their response. "In terms of the future, you don't have to worry. It won't happen again."

Rokim crossed his arms, still looking a little mistrustful. "How do you know?" he challenged.

I pursed my lips, saying my next words with reluctance, but knowing they were necessary. "I'm gonna start carrying around one of those stupid syringes. At all times, just like you wanted. Wasn't that why you gave Rian one to carry around in the first place?" I raised my eyebrows at him, and his expression was enough to confirm I was right. "There'll be no chance for an episode to get that out-of-hand again. Is that enough?"

He stared at me a little longer before offering a slow nod. "Okay," he agreed. "I'll hold you to that."

I grinned lopsidedly. "I'd expect you to."

Just then, the door swung open. I glanced in the direction of the newcomer, and promptly felt a trickle of ice make its way down my back.

Rian looked up from the dangerously full glass of water he'd been carrying. When his eyes landed on me, he froze. The entire room seemed to hold its breath.

"You're awake," he said. 

I raised an eyebrow. "Indeed."

His brow furrowed, and I noticed how disheveled he looked. His hair was even more unruly than usual, and he was wearing the same clothes he'd had on at the ball. Except the jacket was missing and the shirt was considerably more rumpled.