Chapter 10: Forbidden Feelings

Night had fallen on the ferry bound for Ba Sing Se. Ezra was leaning over the railing, watching the moon reflected on the waves. He was trying to process everything. Why did he save Sabine? Why didn't Kanan or Hera tell them about Kanan's lineage? What was Zeb doing while the others fought Wedge? And most pressing of all, why was Sabine supposed to be engaged to that piece of crap?

He heard some steps behind him. He looked back and saw it was Sabine. She leaned next to him.

"I never got to say," she said, "thank you. For saving me from the ice."

"You're welcome." he replied.

"So... I guess you'll be going on to hunt your parent's killers after I've gotten settled."

Ezra was about to reply with "yes", but he had some second thoughts. Wedge knew that they were heading to Ba Sing Se, and that would hold his end of the deal incomplete. She would be in danger of that idiot finding her and taking her again. Not to mention that she was the first real friend he had made in well over several years. Also, if his parents were what the Jarrus family said was true, then there was more to his parent's murder than he knew. Plus... he might be gaining an attraction to her.

"Actually," he said after a brief pause, "I've been thinking... maybe... I... could... stay with you guys."

"What?" she replied in shock and happiness.

"Well... I could use a bit more research in the death of my parents. Plus, with Wedge still after you, I wouldn't be holding my end of the deal to leave you while he hunts you."

Sabine looked at him with half believing, half skeptical. He told her half the truth, which was almost fine with her.

"Is that it?" she asked.

"Well... Yes." he didn't want to tell her. These feelings were already unorthodox, and if she didn't feel the same, he didn't want to have unrequited feelings. So he didn't tell her.

"You really need to get better at lying." she said, "tell me. Please."

Ezra hesitated. He didn't want to tell her. She might not feel the same.

"I..." he hesitated, "you're... *sigh* you're the first friend that I've made in a long time. I don't want to just abandon you." And I love you. He added as a thought.

Sabine smiled warmly at him. He still didn't tell her the entire truth, but this was more than what he previously said. She hugged him tightly, taking him by surprise, but he hugged her back.

"I know that's not all," she said, "but it's enough."

Ezra really wanted to kiss her, but didn't. There was still his firebender instincts to kill her that he was used to ignoring by now.

Next part coming soon.