Ada goes to California(Cali-for-na-ay)

I have been waiting expectantly for Ada's visa  to come through and partially dreading the implications of the receipt of her visa. It's been at least three weeks since she applied.

She's been shopping a lot with my mom who keeps talking about how great and smart her daughter is for getting into UC Berkeley for her MBA. I mean you have other children mom, you need to relax a little with all the praise, admiration and concentrated attention.

It even started stressing Chioma out. She threw a spoon at the kitchen window last night . She came for a proper meal and a non bed bugs infested bed because she has three lecture free days as a result of the convocation ceremony being held at Unilag.

What started the drama was nothing spectacular. My mom asked Chioma to make some 'ji ogwugwo' and she boiled the yam a second longer than mom would have liked. It wasn't too soft or too hard, but mom was of the opinion that Ada would have done a better job at boiling the yam because she was such a smart girl.

I guess something snapped in Chioma after my mom walked out of the kitchen. It was such a loud clash that metal spoon lodged itself in the window glass causing a section of it to shatter. I stood there in shock I had never seen Chioma that upset at least since she got older.

My dad and mom came rushing into the kitchen wondering what happened. My dad looked very cross and my mom stared at Chioma shocked, her hand clutching her chest .
"Chioma ogini na e medu gi?" my dad asked her.
"Nothing sir I'm fine", she lied.

"How can you say you're fine eehn? You flung a spoon at the window and broke it." My dad asked crossing his arms on his chest

My mom moved towards Chioma and tilted Chioma's chin. Chioma's eyes were filling with angry tears.
"Nne did something happen in school? Talk to me Biko? What's the matter? "
"I'm under a lot of pressure at school. I have exams coming up and internship applications and since I came home all I've been hearing is I'm not good enough".

"Chioma but none of us have said that," my dad interjected.
"Not outrightly, but every time I try to get your attention mum you're either too busy, or helping Ada call people to check on her visa application."
"I'm your daughter too. "

My mom looked heart broken.
"Darling I didn't know you feel that way", my mum said wrapping her arms around Chioma as she began to sob.

It felt surreal like an out of body experience. I couldn't remember my parents especially my mum having such an emotional reaction to any of us. I stood quietly beside the fridge watching the scene unfold before me.

My mum  cradled Chioma's face in her hands. "You're a brilliant girl Chioma and your dad and I are proud of you. I know we don't say it often but we are Nne. Just take it easy Nne, you'll soon graduate from that school. My mum drew back smoothed her dress and walked out of the kitchen.

"The money to fix that window is coming out of your pocket money Chiomy" My dad said without turning back to look at Chioma.

The moment they're both out of ear shot Chioma turns to me. "Why didn't you stop me?"she asked with a deep scowl on her face.

"Uhh...what did you expect me to do?" I answer placing the chopped vegetables I had washed in a different bowl.

"You could have told me not to throw the spoon," she said rolling her eyes at me.
I was sure at this point that she was joking, so I turned around to face her. "Dude if I told you not to, would you have listened to me?"
"Well obviously not but you could have tried. " She stopped scowling at this point and I guessed that she had at that point realised how ridiculous her question was.

My mum had instructed Ada earlier today to call her contact at the US Embassy to make enquiries about the status of her visa.
Since then my mind has been everywhere but on my books. I've had about five classes I'm sure because I've heard the bell ring  five times today. Each time it brought me back to reality and just as quickly I slipped back into the wild jungle that is mind.