Part Two

a/n: this might be shitty but I wanted to get this out already so here ya go

-------

Rehearsals don't go too terribly. The key word being too.

Your heart keeps beating against your chest like it has no regard for you or your attempt at trying to keep it together around Lauren. You only trip walking down the aisle, like, a total of three times (it's actually probably closer to seven, but you need to convince yourself that you have some control over your life so you're going with three).

Honestly, it's walking down the aisle. One foot in front of the other. It's a task you do on a daily basis without having to really think about it so in theory, it should be a really simple task.

Except that you have to link arms with Lauren for the ceremony and you're finding it hard to breathe because you haven't gotten to be this close to Lauren since the day she left you at the airport with promises of coming back. The touch of her skin is sending your body ablaze and your insides are in absolute chaos. She smells the same and that's probably weird to think about, but it takes you back to all the times you took comfort in everything that is Lauren.

She looks ethereal under the Hawaiian sun and her dark waves are fluttering with the light breeze and her sun-kissed skin is glowing in the most mesmerizing way and you know that you'll always be in love.

You'll always be in love with the way she's beautiful without trying. You'll always be in love with the way she carries herself with unbelievable grace. In the way the that she easily holds your heart, your mind, your soul, like it never belonged to you in the first place.

The way she looks at you is painfully similar to how she always used to look at you – like she couldn't believe that she got to call you hers, that you said yes even after everything. She's all soft smiles and bright green eyes and you want to kiss her and run away from her all at the same time.

How can it seem like nothing has changed when you know nothing is really the same?

And then there's the unfortunate fact that you can't help but picture the two of you walking down the aisle at a different time. When you're both wearing white dresses and your family and friends are watching you two with tenderness in their eyes and you're wiping tear stains from each other's cheeks before the ceremony has even started. A time when you're exchanging vows to one another like you've always dreamed of.

It all seems so natural and you have to keep reminding yourself that that's no longer in the cards for you.

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: flashback

------------------------------------------------------

You're sitting in the rain while the crowd around you cheers as if you all aren't being subjected to violent gusts of wind and cold rain whipping around in you in every direction.

To be fair, everyone else seemed to be quite prepared for the weather – with their raincoats and windbreakers, while you have to wrap your arms around yourself as you suffer through it all in your ripped jeans and light shirt. You think that she's worth sitting in the cold rain for hours. That you couldn't find it in yourself to wait a whole weekend before you set things right with Lauren.

You look ahead and you can't help but smile at the sight in front of you, despite the cold chill running through you.

Her once-pristine white jersey is covered in mud, there are scratches littering her legs from all the times she's been tackled - she's managed to score once and assist another goal despite the other team's relentless attack on her – and strands of dark hair that's escaped her ponytail are matted to her face as she sprints down the field, dribbling the ball at her feet with incredible finesse and ease, leaving everyone else scrambling to catch up.