3

"So... Do you know the Whitmans?" Mila asked as she poured out some cereal into her bowl.

"I know his mother from a while back—she's a very sweet lady. I don't doubt that she sent her son to check on us." I shrugged and walked past Mila. My hand brushed against hers and I felt my heart race for just a second. It was almost as if my heart stopped pumping for a few breaths and began to overcompensate for it. I feared my own age at times—in my mind that was something that only happened to kids and people before a stroke.

"Wife, huh?" Mila teased, letting her nose stick up ever so slightly. "Think you could say that again but to my mother? She's getting on me again for still being single."

"You're not even twenty-five yet! I've never understood your mother." I shook my head and looked over at Mila, who was nodding her head as I took her side. Rants about her mother always either ended in tears or a silent agreement that her mother was crazy and her step-father was crazier for supporting it.

"But I've never brought anyone home. She lives in a bubble where I'm a perfect saint who's looking for the one. I'm sick of looking." She rolled her eyes and looked back at me hesitantly after muttering a comment under her breath. "What I want more than anything is to be in love for the holidays. You know, watch movies and cuddle under blankets or waking up and being able to just smile because you love being with someone..." Mila stopped speaking and tried to calm herself down. I began to wipe her cheeks of any tears I saw. I hated seeing her cry but I knew it was better to be there for it than to disappear. The last thing she needed was another person to bail on her.

"Mila," I pulled her into a tight hug and let out a sigh of relief when she hugged me back. "Mila, you're worthy of that—don't forget it. You deserve it." I let my nose nuzzle up against the top of her head and she giggled, causing me to relax. Mila was soft like that and it was one of my favorite aspects of her. The little things in life were able to cheer her up.

"Just when I think I've found it..." Mila shook her head and stayed in the hug.

"I think you're adorable, Mimi. People want to be with you, don't worry."

"I just need time to get over myself first." Mila stepped away and offered a smile. She was still sniffling but instead of addressing it, she said one word: Breakfast?

"That'd be nice. Thanks, Mila." I smiled and walked over to the island, taking a seat on one of the stools.

"That Whitman guy invited us to a party tonight. Do you want to go? He said everyone on the lake will be there." Mila smiled up at me as she began rummaging through the fridge. There was something about the smugness of her voice that threw me off but I was willing to ignore it. "We've already lied about our marital status though."

"If you want to then we can go. We're out here for you," I replied casually, keeping my head propped up with my arm as I watched Mila move. She nodded and said something else before a smirk appeared on her lips and she raised an eyebrow.

"What are you staring at?" She teased, but it was a common occurrence. I loved looking at her so much so that I once drooled a bit while staring at her. The gawking happened from time to time, but I knew that Mila loved the attention from me. She'd just close my mouth and ask if I was enjoying the view.

"You," I responded dumbly. She chuckled and shook her head, ending the conversation there. She rested her elbow against the counter and said something that I wasn't paying attention to. At some point, she began snapping in front of my face.

"Earth to Iris? Sometimes I get concerned for you." Mila began talking about what she wanted to do after we got back from the party, which she decided she wanted to go to. She made a long list that ended with sleeping, which sounded perfectly fine to me.

"Alright," Mila slid me a bowl of oatmeal. I looked at her, then at the eggs that she had pulled out off the fridge. "Don't look at me like that! I was going to cook and then I remembered that I can't, okay?" She shook her head as she put everything away. I didn't bother mentioning that she had already eaten and was just trying to distract me so she could eat again.

"I won't say anything," I laughed and took the spoon she was holding out. "Thank you,"

"So grateful..." She was smiling as she ate and didn't say anything to me after. We would look at each other every now and then and smile, but no words were spoken. It was our first truly peaceful moment since we came up to the cabin.

.•*•.

Mila was getting ready for the party in the bathroom. She was perched on the counter as she applied makeup and smiled when she saw me.

"Are you sure-"

"Yes I'm sure. I want to look nice. First impressions, Iris." Mila turned around and waited for a response.

"You always look nice, idiot," I blurted out before I could censor myself. At first I was embarrassed by my blunder, but Mila seemed to find it hilarious. "I mean—yes, you're lovely and amazing and you always look great, but we're probably going to be there for food and then we'll leave."

"Then I'll look cute while stuffing my face. Bring me my straightener please." She pouted knowing full well that I couldn't resist it. I decided not to bother her anymore and grabbed her straightener. She thanked me and carefully began applying mascara while I took my place next to her and watched.

Making Mila laugh was always easy for me as I barely did any work to get her started. When she laughed so hard that she had to pull the mascara away I knew it was time to leave.

"Come over here when you're ready!" I shouted across the house. Mila made some sort of muffled response and I went on my phone to check on social media while I waited for her.