when

you avoided me the rest of the week.

every time i came up to talk to you, you ignored me. i was confused. what did i do wrong? what made you suddenly not want to talk to me?

it took a while, but you finally started speaking to me again. i made sure to be extra cautious of what i said so i wouldn't make you upset again.

you didn't seem like the same person.

none of your expressions seemed sincere. especially when you smiled. it would never reach your eyes.

i tried my best to make you laugh, but you didn't. not even once. i felt like it was my fault. my fault that you were sad.

when i grabbed your wrist to make you pay attention to me, you winced and swiftly pulled it away. i narrowed my eyes and grabbed your wrist again, this time extremely gently, and pulled your sleeve down to expose your arm.

more bruises.

you tried to protest, but i shut you up with a glance. i grabbed the other wrist. that arm had bruises, too. my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest.

"who did this?" i whispered, my eyes meeting yours. you looked away.

my eyes trailed to your neck. purple and green peeked out from under your collarbones.

i pulled down the neck of your shirt a little to see them better but you slapped my hand away.

"don't." you hissed, tears springing to your eyes.

"why?" i asked you. "who did this to you?" i asked, my voice cracking.

you looked away, refusing to meet my eyes.

"who did this?" i asked, my voice more firm.

"i can't tell you." you whispered, your voice small.

"why? just tell me!" my voice was getting louder by the second.

you looked around the room frantically, looking to see if anyone was listening to us. "be quiet!" you shushed me, begging me with your eyes.

"answer the question. why can't you tell me?" i said, my voice lowering.

"because he'll kill me!" you burst out, shoulders slumping in defeat. "he'll kill me if i tell anyone." you whispered, looking down at your lap.

that's when i knew i had to help you.