Memories (5)

(based on no episode in particular. Happened in... Merag's memories of her past life (while she was in coma after they returned from the ruins), it might help if you've watched episode 108-109, still partly inspired from im-aggressive's drabble. Any situation you recognize might not come directly from me :p)

Disclaimer: Of course I don't own YGO Zexal, otherwise, IV would be an anti-hero protagonist along with Rio as the heroine, and the anime would be full of dramas instead of card games!

***

There was blood all over the seat, dripping slowly from a wounded side of a man leaning to a boat's bow. He looked vaguely familiar, but she couldn't quite put her fingers into it. The moonlight glinted on his long silver hair, framing his face like a silky veil, eyelids drooping lazily over his deep blue orbs. His lips moved, saying something inaudible and he lifted a hand—which was immediately being grasped by another hand.

"I'm sorry..."

She recognized the voice as Number 4's that she whipped her head to see if he was also around, but, instead, saw a sobbing younger boy with curly pink hair and bloodshot eyes.

"Niisama..." the boy croaked and she felt the urge to envelop him in a tight embrace, stroke his back and sing a lullaby to ease whatever it was that had made him cry. But her body didn't seem to comply with her brain.

"Stop crying!" Number 4's voice snapped.

Where is he? She tried to look around again, but this time, her head wouldn't move. The boy covered his mouth with a hand, trying to hold back his sob, but only resulting in more tears leaked out from his verdant orbs.

"What are we going to do now?" the boy asked again, still with croaked voice.

There was no answer, and she could feel her head turned slowly towards the silver haired man again—who was now sleeping peacefully. Then she realized that she was holding the man's hand and was about to let go when she saw the hand wasn't even hers. It was a bit bigger, its skin was a lot tanner and calloused, just like Nasch's and other guards' hand after a long hour of sword practice.

"He's not breathing anymore. What do you want me to do?" Number 4's voice spat, not sounding the least bit sympathetic, despite his slightly trembling hand.

The boy cried harder and she would have berated Number 4 for being insensitive if she wasn't busy figuring out what had happened to her. She could feel her hand shifted from the cold hand and let it go. She (not actually her, of course, but she felt like she was doing it) stood up, making the boat swayed a little, and grabbed the silver-haired man's shoulder. Her hands flinched when her skin made contact with the cold skin and again, she would have pulled it back if she could control her action. But, as it stood, she couldn't.

"Hey, stop crying! Help me over here!" Number 4 snapped again, and only then she realized that she moved her lips in the exact shape of those words.

She wasn't there—not exactly. She was Number 4 herself.

Why was she Number 4? Where was she now? How had she ended up here?

The last thing she remembered was that she had been trying to check Number 4's internal injuries with her water, then he had started screaming that she had to use her healing ability to ease the pain, and the next thing she knew, she was already there with those two strangers. With the way the boy called the other two, they might be Number 4's brothers—as he had mentioned before.

Number 4 pushed the silver-haired man's body over the edge of the boat, and the pink haired boy gasped. "What are you doing, niisama?"

"He's only going to be a burden on here," Number 4 said coldly, kept pushing the body until it plunged into the water.