FIVE

Harley Anderson

I wasn't expecting Cameron to request my presence at six in the morning. However, I didn't really complain and rather complied with him. After all, he doesn't have to do this. I'm not going to lie; I'm not entirely impressed with his ridiculous time but it wasn't like I was sleeping anyway.

As I make my way down to the parking lot, the sky is only a soft blue with the golden hues of the rising sun illuminating it and demonstrating a new day; a new beginning. When I'm exposed to the chilly morning air, I tighten the drawstrings of my hoodie and spot Cameron leaning against his car. Only this time his car isn't my favorite masterpiece but rather the same Chevrolet he races in. I would be lying if I said that  not exited to get my hands on the car but I'm still a little disappointed because, well, it isn't his Mustang.

"Morning," I smile when I reach the black-haired boy. His pointy nose is red from the morning crispiness and his freckles remind me of my own. However, I seem to have quite a lot more than him.

"Morning. Ready to get started?" He asks from leaning against his car.

I nod. "Yep. But could you tell me why exactly we needed to meet up so early?"

"Your shift is at eleven. This way we'll have a decent amount of time."

I kiss my teeth. "Oh, okay."

"Or is there a problem?" He asks, cocking his head to the side as if he's daring me to say yes.

I roll my eyes at him. "Stop jumping to conclusions."

His lips twitch into an amused smile before he goes around to climb into his side of the car and I roll my eyes at him again. I follow him suit and breathe the air of the car in deeply. The smell of lemongrass and leather is present and it's a heavenly smell.

"Where are we planning on doing this?" I raise an eyebrow at him as he backs out of the parking lot.

He shrugs. "I know a place or two."

"Wow." I roll my eyes "That tells me so much."

Cameron returns my gesture. "There's an open road a few kilometers away. We're heading there."

I nod and don't say anything else.

"How long have you been driving for?" He asks me and I shrug.

"Since I was seventeen."

He nods and I watch him curiously.

"You?" I inquire curiously. He looks at me briefly.

"Since I was fourteen."

My mouth falls agape. "Woah. You learnt early."

"Yeah, well racing has always being a part of my life."

I smile at that, wishing I could say the same because, in fact, it did play a big role at one stage before Cyrus left. Everything went with that, including my aspirations to race. However, I guess you can say that I've never stopped loving cars and races nor have I ever really stopped dreaming of actually getting behind the wheel.

The rest of the ride is silent with Cameron's music playing in the background. We drive further out of town and into the open fields where there are hardly any houses. Or any form of civilisation, for that matter. He eventually stops his car beside an open road that seems to stretch for miles and miles without an end with clumps of trees here and there and I'm suddenly nervous. What ifI crash into one?

He turns to face me with a blank look. "Lets swap."

I nod and and we both climb out the car before we switch over seats. Now that I'm finally behind the wheel, my heart begins to pound and my hands begin to tremble. This is all on me now; I'm actually going to do this.