Chapter 18: Lifeless

E L L I E

I awake drenched in sweat, and immediately sit bolt upright. What time is it? I meant to rise early, but I must have overslept. I can hear the buzz of students' voices in the hallway outside my room. I strain to make out what they're saying, but I only recognize one word.

Eleanor.

I scamper out of bed and throw on a clean t-shirt over my pajama bottoms.

A cluster of students has filled the corridor. Ms. Cleary watches from outside the door of her RA suite, belting a terrycloth robe around her waist. Her salt-n-pepper hair hangs loose around her shoulders, partially concealing the look of bewilderment on her face. She clears her throat as if to speak, but no words follow.

Clearly, whatever news there is, it didn't come from Ms. Cleary. My eyes search toward the other end of the hall. Maddox stands by Reese and Eleanor's room, but there's a crowd of others blocking my path to him.

Two doors from mine, Samantha slips out into the hall and takes her usual place at her her girlfriend's side. I head toward the pair of them.

"What happened?" I keep my voice hushed to blend in with the others, although I can't tell why we're all speaking so softly. It's not like we need to worry about disturbing anyone's slumber. Everyone is up already, filling the hallway with questions. We're not whispering exactly, but speaking in muted tones. Like we're gathered at a hospital.

Or a funeral.

Samantha answers me so low, I have to lean forward to understand her words. "They dredged the lake."

My tongue darts out to wet my lips as I wait for her to say more. Samantha's eyes flick away toward the far end of the hallway where Maddox stands.

"What is it?" I prompt, not sure I want to know the answer. "Did they find something?"

Samantha doesn't reply, but Miranda picks up where she left off. "Eleanor," she whispers.

I thought I heard that name. All trace of sleep leaves me, the moment Miranda utters it. I ask the natural next question, although I can already read the answer on the faces all around me. "Is she... is she OK?"

Samantha only shakes her head.

I wrap my arms around myself to ward off the sudden chill. My eyes seek Maddox again. He stands half a head taller than the other students around him. Tall enough for me to meet his eyes over the top of Reese's bright blue head.

He blinks at me, but he shows no sign of recognition. His face is pale, his eyes rimmed with. There's an eery emptiness to his expression. Vacant. Hollow. Lifeless. I reach toward him, despite the length of hall that separates us. But he looks away before I can do more.

He turns his head toward Reese. She crumples against him, shuddering in his arms. His face is cast downward now. Eyes closed. Shoulders shaking slightly as he supports Reese's weight.

Something tells me not to go to him. Not now. Not in front of all these people. Not after what he said to me last night.

I don't turn my back completely, but I stay here where I stand. My arm, extended toward him, falls limply to my side once more.

Dear Readers:
If you're enjoying the story, please don't forget to COMMENT and VOTE! Thank you! <3