2: Beta

Radius Velasco

"I am Aqua Remmington, one of the Salutary. We heal and take care of the illness by using herbs or medicine from resources." She said and bowed before she got up. I nodded and another one appeared. They are explaining  the rank of the pack to me.

Then a man with a black coat came in with Lionel. "He is my father, Leonel Gandalf. He is a Sentinel and they patrol around the territory. They are also responsible for visitors and others." The kid smiled and they bowed. Ganoon ba talaga iyon? Napabuntong hininga ako at katabi ko ang Beta o si Chloe.

She is eating spicy friend chicken wings with a hot gravy. Katatapos ko lang kumain ng ganyan. Nauna pa kasi akong kumain dahil dapat daw mas mauuna pa ako kaysa sa kanya.

"Elders have the greatest knowledge about the pack because they live longer than us. Next is the Hunters, they are skilled when it comes to hunting or tracking a prey. The Guardians, they are the one who takes care of the elders and the Omega/Pups, is the 2nd lowest because they do not have much knowledge about the pack. Last but not the least, the Rogues, they are good or neither bad. They do not have a pack." She continously said and drink.

Napadighay siya at nag-peace sign sa akin. Actually, I’m in my human form again. Napapangiwi ako kapag naaalala ko yung nangyari kanina. I can’t control my shape-shifting yet because it’s my first time.

I suddenly feel something on my stomach. I took a deep breath. Lionel and Chloe stop from what they are doing and look at me with great shock on their eyes.

"OMG! Lionel, kuha ka ng damit, bilis. Bago ko pa makita yung mga tinatago niya." Natatarantang sabi ni Chloe and Lionel hurried to find clothes.

Napatingin ako sa kanila na parang nagtatanong. Napasinghap ako nang maranasan ulit ang pagkirot sa aking katawan. Damn! It's just like when I turned into a werewolf. Napaigik ako at napahiga sa sahig. Parang binibiyak ang aking ulo sa dalawa.

Nakita ko ang paga-alala sa mukha ni Chloe at Lionel. "Alis ka na, Ate Chloe, kundi may makikita ‘kang hindi dapat makita ka’y Alpha Radius." Natatarantang sabi ni Lionel.  Napabuntong hininga ako nang tumigil saglit ang pagsakit ng ulo ko. I feel numb pero parang binugbog ako ng isang-daang tao.

"Gwapo ka nga, Alpha. Nagmana ako sayo." Tango-tango na sabi ni Lionel at binigay sa akin ang isang pants, isang kulay puti na shirt at isang black na jacket.

And, undies? WTF. Okay, I'm sorry for saying the u word but I kinda feel strange. Tinaas ko ang aking kamay at bumalik ulit ito sa dati. "Magpalit ka na, Alpha. You are totally exposed. Magalit sa akin yung mate mo kapag nandito na siya. Bilis, bilis!"

Napatayo na ako. I can still feel the pain. Ang sakit lang ng buong katawan ko. Lumabas na si Lionel at sinuot ko kung ano man ang binigay niya sa akin. I run my fingers through my hair.

Lumabas na ako sa bahay ni Chloe. The whole pack look at me. What? I'm not handsome anyway but the way they look at me, it is like I am an alien. I heard other girls giggles.

"Kamukhang-kamukha mo ang dating Alpha na si Pentagon." Seriously? May pagka-adik ba ang mga magulang ko sa Mathematic? I smiled a little bit at the female elder who said that and I heard the girls who giggles again.

"Stop it. It’s annoying." Chloe said and glared at the girls. Lionel laughed at pumunta ulit kami sa bahay ni Chloe. When we got there, the food is already served.

Nang makaupo na kami, nagkatinginan muna kaming lahat. Kinuha ko na ang kubyertos. I wanted to dig in pero hindi pa rin sila nagsisimula. "Ayaw niyong kumain?" Tanong ko pero umiling lang sila.

"Eh, bakit hindi pa kayo nagsisimula?" Tanong ko ulit. The spicy fried chicken with gravy looks delicious. "Kumain ka muna." Chloe said. I ate one piece of the fried chicken and after that, nakisabay na sila sa akin.

"Are you crying?" Tanong ko kay Chloe pagkatapos ‘kong magmuni-muni kanina. Bigla siyang tumakbo palayo sa akin. Napatingin ako nang may magsalita sa tabi ko. Ewan ko ba kung paano sulpot ng sulpot ang isang tao.

Lionel smiled...

"She is mateless. That's why she is destined to be a Beta that can protect you always. The Euphoria tree is what they called a destined teller. Ate Chloe's destiny appears in her dreams. That’s why she knows that you are an alpha. She once risked her life to protect you from the car accident that happened years ago." Kwento ni Lionel. Nagulat ako sa aking narinig. I was in a coma for too long because of that car accident. They said that a pup save me from that incident.

"By the way, an Alpha has a mate. She is called Luna. Ate Chloe is assigned to protect you and the Luna. By the way, someone told me that an Alpha's sense is accurate for finding his mate." Napangisi ako nang sabihin iyon ni Lionel. I know I have read somewhere about vampires when i am just a kid. Vampires have mates. I guess, werewolf too.

I don’t have any interest in superstitious before...that’s why I dont have any single idea about werewolves.

"By the way, your mother was a scientist in your world. She propose the werewolf and write story about it. Ate Chloe's mother is your mother's bestfriend." I remained silent when Lionel told me about my mother. I don’t have any single idea about her.

"Nga pala, Kuya Alpha, pwede mo kaming palitan ni Ate Chloe kapag nagkataon. Honestly, remember a girl named Winter Seguritan?" Tanong ni Lionel and I nodded. I remembered that cute girl who is my...

"She is your first love and she is the Beta. Does Winter Chloe Seguritan ring a bell?" Napatikhim ako nang maalala ang pangalan na iyon. I thought it's not coincidence but its her. "Naku magseselos ang future Luna nito kapag nagkataon." Ngiti niya at umalis na lang bigla.

Nakita ko si Chloe na nakatanaw sa akin sa baba. She waved and I smiled at her. Tinitigan ko siya ng matagal bago siya tumakbo paalis.

Sometimes I understand her but always I can’t understand her. I can’t sleep anyway even if it’s now midnight. I can see the moon shining so bright and I heard the growls of the sentinels.

I wish I can protect this pack too just like how my Beta protect me.