39.

Hanz and June were on their day off so Lisa and Marco came by in the morning and at lunch to assist Nic and Richard with their needs. They were going to return in the evening for dinner and bath time. By mid-afternoon, Sally prepared them a snack of honey stars and milk. She heard them laughing so she went to Richard's room. They weren't in the room. She went in and found dirty clothes and a used diaper on the bathroom floor. She wondered if Marco had failed to clean up after Richard's lunchtime change; it was highly unusual for Marco, or any caregiver, of St. Dymphna's to do that since Ruth was very strict about order and cleanliness. Sally tidied up and was quite curious of the dark stains on Richard's shirt; it was chocolate.

More laughter and giggles resounded in the cottage so Sally went to Nic's room. Nic's toys and books were properly arranged on their shelves. Sally entered the bathroom and found Richard trying to help Nic into her shirt. She was wearing a yellow undershirt (sando) as Richard tried to put on a t-shirt over her head. Nic was giggling because they couldn't get her hand to go through the arm hole of the shirt. Richard, who probably dressed himself earlier, had his own shirt and shorts backwards with an extra polo shirt carelessly buttoned up.

"Chie? Anong ginagawa nyo?" Sally asked softly. She knew that sudden, loud noises could startle Richard.

Richard stopped trying to fit Nic's arm into the shirt hole and looked at Sally, "...his ko Niii.." (binibihisan ko si Nic)

"Bakit?" Sally approached and helped Nic get dressed. Nic's face had chocolate stains so Sally got a wash cloth and wiped Nic's face. Richard, too, had chocolate stains on his face. "...at bakit kayo puro chocolate,saan kayo kumuha ng chocolate?" Sally turned to Richard and wiped his face too. She took his hands and wiped them too.

"...my Ching ...nut.." (Mommy Ching..donut)

"Yung nasa kusina?"

"Hmm!" Richard nodded. Nic groaned.

"Ahh...halika...ayusin natin yung damit mo..." Sally reached out to Richard.

"Yaw!" Richard stood up and moved away from Sally.

"Okay. Ikaw bahala. Pero, sasabihin mo sa akin kung kailangan mo mag-wiwi ha? Wala kang diaper o.." Sally looked at Richard. "Ah teka...come, wiwi ka muna tapos may surprise ako..."

"...prise?"

"Oo...halika na..." Sally brought Richard to the toilet and had him pee and wash his hands. "Ayan, very good. Sasabihin mo kung wiwi ka ha?"

"Hmm.." Richard nodded.

Nic had moved to the bedroom and was sitting in one corner, chewing on her chewy. She had chocolate saliva on her chin and hands. Sally gave Richard some books to look at while she attended to Nic. She washed Nic and changed her diaper.

"O, come na...return mo na yang mga books sa bookshelf" Sally instructed as she held on to Nic's wrist. Richard complied and put the books on the bookshelf.