Chapter 56: Broken Hearts

I was looking at videos on YouTube when a video titled "Alexander and Zara Palmer forever" popped in my recommendations. I couldn't help but click it. The video were collages of Alexander and me on one our engagements. We were so happy and holding hands. I feel myself begin to smile but quickly stopped and slammed my laptop closed when I heard my mom holler my name.

"Zara" my mother called once again

"Yes," I called as I started to skip down the stairs but stopped in my tracks when I saw King Frederick standing in the living room. I glanced at my mother and grandmother who looked at him in shock.

"Your Majesty," I said as I curtsied "What-uh...I" I stuttered

"Hello Zara," he said as he graciously kissed my cheek "May I take a seat?" he asked.

"Oh yes," I said as I gestured him to sit on the couch. I nodded at my mother, grandmother, and aunt. They got the message and slowly disappeared into the kitchen

How'd he know I was here? Wow, that was stupid question...he's the King, Zara.

"Is Alexander here?" I blurted.

"No, he actually doesn't even know I'm here"

"Oh?"

"Yes, I just wanted to speak to you and see how you are doing...and I also wanted to send my apologies," He said.

"For?"

"For not being there for you. I watched my first wife walk out of the door and never come back. I was to blind to see what she was going through. She also hated the media, the no privacy, and she had to learn how to become submissive but that wasn't her. Yes, the monarch is based off of rules, tradition but what are rules if you can't break them. The love that I've seen between you and Alexander is rare and very unique. You have opened my eyes to see things I haven't seen before and I commend you"

"Thank you, sir"

"Alexander is miserable...barely bathes... barely eats or sleeps. His heart is broken" King Frederick said and that sent a cold shiver down my spine. I broke his heart...I was so worried about mine that I broke his.

"But whether you decide to marry or not, I think you should tell him your decision and put him out of his misery," the King said

He gave a small smile and rose from the couch. I watched as his three bodyguards emerged from corners of the room while my grandmother, aunt, and mother watched in again awe.

"Have a good-afternoon, ladies" King Frederick said as he gave a small wave

"Bye," they said in unison.

The time was ticking and I had to make a decision.