Chapter 26

Elena's POV:

It's been a few days since Stefan and I have been okay again. We haven't been back to normal yet, still some awkward conversations and some comments made that came a little too soon, but we're getting there.

I have been thinking about it lately, and it has been kind of eating me inside, not saying anything to him about the situation. I wanted to know more details, I wanted to know more about vampires. It hasn't really hit me until now that Stefan is one of them. He isn't a human, he's super natural and it scared me now. It didn't before, but sometimes things come to your attention later than others.

Speaking of my vampire boyfriend, he's coming over to talk to me about something. He didn't tell me what, but it sounded important.

A knock came to my door.

I opened it, and of course, there he was with flowers in his hand. Always a gentleman.

I threw my arms around him and kissed him right on the lips.

''Hi.'' I said in a flirting tone.

''Hello, beautiful.'' He said, handing me the flowers. ''For you.''

''Always so sweet, Thank you.'' I said, kissing him again.

He came inside, closing the door behind him and took a seat not next to me, but across from me.

''I have to talk to you, about something, important to me. I know this situation has been bugging you and this could be the answer to both our problems.'' He said, sitting up straight.

I gave him my full attention, just like he would do for me if I had something important to talk about.

''I've been doing some searcing and some research, and it looks like there may be a cure.'' He started. ''A cure for vampirism.''

My eyes grew bigger as he continued.

''It looks like there is a place, many many miles away, all the way in California, that has this cure. It's a secret place too, not like a normal drug store or anything like that matter. It's in the woods, buried on some tree.''

''So you're going to go and get it? Stefan, you can't do that! It's crazy!'' I said.

''I know, it's crazy. But I need to do this, not only because I need to do it for myself and that I want to do it, but for you too. I don't want us to continue to be like this, that you have to sit around and wonder the next time I'm going to snap. All our problems are going to be solved.'' He said.

I looked at him for a moment. I didn't know what to do, what to say.

''Stefan, I love you the way you are. I told you that you have my trust.'' 

''I know, I know. But you will love me when I'm human too, please, let me do this.'' He said.

He was kind of right. I did wish that we would have a normal relationship like most people in my school, and not have to worry about everything supernatural.

''Stefan.'' I said. 

He smiled and came closer to me. ''Please.''

I wrapped my arms around him. He was kneeling on the floor and I was above him, sitting on the couch.

''Okay.'' I whispered.

------------------------------------

Stefan's POV:

I found it. I found a cure. I don't have to deal with this seperate life anymore. I don't have to pretend that I'm just some normal human, because I'm actually going to be a normal human.

I told Elena and she isn't all on board with the idea, but I know deep down she is, she just doesn't want to say it out loud and be nervous about hurting my feelings. I know she loves me if I'm a vampire or if I'm not.

I didn't love myself anymore being a vampire. I was dangerous, and this part of my life was hell. I didn't even remember what is was like to be normal, but I was going to feel it sometime soon and I couldn't wait any longer for that moment.

I went home from Elena's house, got out the huge suitcase that I was keeping under my bed, and starting packing. I needed to go on the journey alone, and if I didn't work, I wanted to be sad alone and not have to deal with anybody overwhelming me. This subject was really tough for me, and I have been battling these demons for decades.

I packed a few outfits, materials, hair projects, etc. and then grabbed my phone. I needed to hear Elena's voice one more time before we had this weekend apart.

''Hello?'' She answered.

''Hi babe. I just wanted to say goodbye, I needed to hear your voice.'' I said.

''Please be careful, and try and be back so that you don't have to miss any school.'' She said, worried.

''I will be careful, and I will try my best to be back on time. Try and stay out of trouble while I'm gone, and don't miss me too much.'' I laughed.

''Oh, trust me. I'm not going to miss you at all.'' She started. ''Oh who am I kidding? I'm going to miss you, but you better get going. I love you.''

''I love you more.'' I hung up the phone and finished the rest of my packing before picking up the suitcase and putting it in the truck of my car.

I drove, for miles and miles until I hit California, and I went the directions that map quest was telling me to go, and then it said the words 'destination, arrived.' and I was here.

I got out of my car, and opened up the tent that I was going to be sleeping in for my time here, no need to get a hotel or anything. This was fine with me and being out in the woods was something I have enjoyed since I was a little boy.

I set it up, and put some things inside, and then didn't waste anytime, and went out to search for the creation that was going to change my life, forever.

I didn't see it anywhere, it was supposed to be some tree, it was a weird looking tree too. It says if you rub the leaves, and then take them off the tree and put it in some water, shake it up, and drink it, you will be cured the next morning, so that means you have to sleep with it in your system, which was a little scary knowing something was going to be doing things to my body while I was sleeping but it was worth the risk.

I looked and looked for hours, and then finally, I saw it.

I saw the weird looking tree I have been looking for, and it was right before my eyes.

This tree is going to change my life.