Dark Glasses Or Long-Sleeved Blouses

The next day, he hit her again, and three days later, he punched her. Wanda dried her tears, applied foundation to the bruises, and wore long-sleeved blouses that she prayed covered everything. Wanda had been doing a lot of praying lately. Before the wedding, her mother went with her to sample cakes. An attendant at the counter dropped a plate, shattering it onto the floor. Instantly, Wanda was in the kitchen, gasping for breath. She blinked a few times. The kitchen, the cakes, the kitchen, the cakes. The cake place came into focus, and with it came the scrutinizing face of her mother.

''Child, don't make a scene!'' her mother whispered forcefully. ''Get up!'' Wanda stood with shaking legs. If she didn't tell her now, she would never know.

''Mama, I-'' Her voice broke, but she pushed on. ''I can't marry Earl.''

'''Wh-'' her mother spluttered. ''Why on earth not, child?''

''Mama, he- he hits me.'' The statement hung in the air, neither of them saying a word. A shock of anger flashed across her mother's face, but it soon vanished.

''How much?'' she asked, voice shaking with emotion.

''Often,'' Wanda whispered, and something inside her shattered. Tears burst from her eyes, and a sob involuntarily escaped her throat. Wanda's mother gasped sharply, seized her by the forearm, and dragged her into the bathroom.

''Get a hold of yourself!'' her mother snapped, and Wanda took a deep, shuddering breath. Her mother looked into Wanda's eyes with steely determination.

''Sometimes, as women, we have to put up with things that we don't agree with.''

''Mama!'' Wanda exclaimed. ''You can't be okay with this!''

Her mother exhaled sharply. ''Don't!'' she growled, ''argue with me, child. Earl is very rich, and very handsome, and you are marrying him next month. That's final.''

C in silence for a while. The weight of what Earl had done settled over her, and she immediately cursed herself for not being there. She could have, should have. She looked at Wanda and smiled in the way she used to when she was working out a plan.

''So,'' Mary Anne started, breaking the silence that had followed. ''Are you thinking what I'm thinking?''

''Ain't we always?'' Wanda winked. They squeezed hands.

''This man's gotta die.''