Regret

Chapter Five

"DMITRI, I THINK WE SHOULD TALK."

My love, my heart, my entire goddamn soul shone through as he turned to face me. The light in his eyes dimmed at the common phrase, the one used to initiate break-ups. But I was far from common. I was spontaneous.

"Yes?" he questioned, standing to his full height and shuffled to my bed. My pillows, which were pristinely placed, were immediately disrupted as he jumped onto my mattress. I rolled my eyes in faux irritation and grinned at him.

Dmitri found home on my lap. My fingers instinctively delved into his brown tresses, teasing the locks of hair as his lively eyes fluttered to a close. The sight of my love was enough to send my heart and other organ further down south into a craze.

"Dmitri, my love." I sighed, tracing the perch of his cheek bones and the outline of his strong jaw that he inherited from his father.

"I love you."

His eyes flew open so quickly, I was genuinely surprised they didn't pop out of their sockets.

   "Obeshchaniye, melkaya lisa?" his voice perked, the thick Russian accent that did unspeakable things to my body resonated throughout the room.

   I thought I'd be scared. Horrified of rejection or simply ignored, but my heart was soothed with the serenity that he broadcasted through his eyes.

   I giggled. "What does that mean?"

   "Promise, little fox."

   "Yes my love, I promise."

   The grin the encased his exquisite face brightened my life. I was truly, madly, faultlessly and fearlessly in love with Dmitri Polkov and I would not trade it for the word.

   "Then I love you too, melkaya lisa."

   Juna awoke with a start, horrified gasps stealing her breaths. Sweat coated her body, likely due to the constricting cardigan. Immediately she began to shed the material and her handgun relaxed her the slightest bit. Dmitri was up, crowding her with his worry.

   "I'm fine." she snapped, throwing her legs over the edge of the bed and ripping off her skirt. The glow of his alarm clock read nine. She'd practically spent then entire day sleeping. Her tank top was next in her rush to evacuate the heat from her body and he gulped, intimidating by the sight of her in only her most intimate clothing.

   Juna didn't mind his staring; nothing he hadn't seen before, anyways. She approached the open window, allowing the chill of the summer night to blow over her. She didn't bother concealing her handgun and instead, tossed it onto his desk.

   She felt suffocated as she gulped down fresh, chilly air. Dmitri's presence behind her was reassuring, but nonetheless annoying. Staying here had been a mistake, yet she knew that from the moment she agreed. She hadn't cared because he was her weakness and if she wanted to survive in this world, she had to rid herself of him.

   Clayton was doing his job so she had no reason to be hanging around like this.

   Dmitri's finger curled around her upper arm, but she snatched it out of his grip. "Don't touch me."

   He heaved a heavy breath and contemplated arguing with her—demand that she accept him back in her life, that she fall helplessly in love with him once more, but decided against it.

   You can't make her do anything.

   "Fucking shit," she muttered under her breath as realization dawned on her. He thought this was simply her pulling away from him, how wrong he was. "They fucking bugged my room."