Control

Chapter Six

   JUNA WAS ON A ROLL AND SHE WAS SURE THE BRATVA WERE RECONSIDERING.

   Her newly acquired cellphone rang, the caller ID lighting up with Dmitri's name. She decided to ignore it and continue to braid her hair. And then he called again. And again, and again, and again.

   "Juna speaking, how can I help you?"

   "Tell why the fuck I just woke up to a new cellphone under my pillow." Dmitri growled in his husky morning voice that she adored.

   "I clearly said I'm Juna, not the tooth fairy."

   "I thought we agreed on walkie-talkies."

   Juna rolled her eyes and hair-sprayed her defiant strands of hair, soothing them over with a brush. "The price it would take to buy that many walkie-talkies is the equivalent to a new phone."

   "Are you wearing your hair in a braid?" Dmitri questioned, changing the subject so quickly she was surprised she didn't get whiplash. Juna froze and glanced at her window. Yup, blinds are closed.

   "How did you know that?"

   "You only use hairspray when you wear a braid."

   Juna chose to ignore this. It was weirdly heartwarming to know that he paid that much attention to detail, that he knew her routines. And all the more painful in the long run.

   "Also, got you a security system. Learn how to work it other the cops will stop showing up."

   "Wait what?"

   "Bye, see you later!" she called, hanging up before he could argue and finishing up this morning's look. She was on top of her game, mounted on top of the damn world, and nothing could bring her down.

   Since yesterday, she'd felt relieved. Dmitri was safe, especially now that she anonymously paid for the installation of a security system. She knew Misha would accept it because realistically, he was as paranoid as Juna was. And rightfully so. It was a luxury the Polkovs could never afford and truthfully, she was doing it for more than just Dmitri's safety. That family was like her second home.

   She had also recruited Henley to buy two new cellphones on a different account. It was under his name but funded by her father (unknowingly so). Creepily enough, she added her new number to the crisp new phone and snuck through his window while he slept.

   And he says I'm the heavy sleeper.

   The pakhan could kiss her damn ass.

   She was not daft enough to believe her own security system hadn't been jacked. She'd hired a trusted company to install Misha's, only because he could spot a Six from a mile away. She, however, required Clayton's assistance.

   Her phone buzzed from where it sat on her vanity. Dmitri texted her.

   Don't you think this is a bit excessive?

   Juna snorted. Better safe than sorry. And don't state our personal information over text or call. I'll be over later to hatch to you my plan.

   Henley was pleasant company on the way to Lucky's, smiling at her the entire way through. She waved him goodbye and headed into the pub which was surprisingly empty. And then remembered it was a Monday, so it wasn't too surprising after all.

   It must of been her lucky day, pun intended, because Clayton was sat at the bar talking to Lizzie informally. Lizzie looked up at the jingle of the bell over the door and exerted a dazzling smile.