Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The rest of the week, like Bell’s first lectures, went quicker than she had expected. Only one of her classes did she find slightly less interesting that the others, and in another of her modules Hattie was in her class, which Bell was glad of.

The weekend had arrived, and Bell was glad of this too. On the Saturday she, along with Hattie and Lisa, went to town to do some shopping. The town was bigger than what Bell was used to – where she lived there was only a small shopping place nearby, with hardly any clothes shops. So Bell bought a couple of tops, as well as buying her food for the week. They traipsed back to campus with all their shopping bags, Lisa’s wine bottles clinking against each other. They were planning on having a drink tonight, but hopefully not getting as drunk as before. That was the plan, anyway.

They got back, put all their shopping away and began to make their dinners. After eating, the drinking began. They chatted away, and not long into it Josie came into the kitchen, asking to join in. The four of them were having a good time, until Lisa said the words

“I think we should play a game. Like…a dare game.” Bell looked at Lisa with wide eyes. A proper dare game? She wasn’t sure she would like where this was going.

“Ok, drink up. We’re gonna need it if we’re actually going to do this,” Josie said, downing her vodka and coke. The rest of them finished their glasses of wine, then Josie produced a dice from her pocket.

“Whoever rolls the lowest number is dared,” Josie announced. They each rolled, and Hattie scored the lowest. She was dared by Josie to take two shots of vodka, and Bell watched in both surprise and awe as she downed both of them in less than twenty seconds. She gave the thumbs up to the rest of them, unable to speak, and they all cheered.

It was Lisa next. Bell dared her to go outside and shout as many swear words as she could think of at the top of her voice. She only agreed to if Bell took the next dare – which Bell assented to. They all collapsed in giggles watching Lisa through the kitchen window scream, until someone shouted from another building to shut up, and she quickly ran back in, also laughing.

Bell was then dared by Lisa to play knock down ginger on Bob’s door. She obliged, and only just made it back into the kitchen before he opened his door. They all put their hands over their mouths to stop the giggles, all expecting Bob to walk in and tell them to go away. But the door was shut again, and none of them could stop the laughter now.

Hattie’s turn – another two shots. Now her pupils were dilated and a smile had been painted onto her face. She looked like she was in another world. Bell knew it was time to hide the vodka bottle, to avoid Hattie being hospitalised.

Josie’s turn – she was dared to down one of Lisa’s wine bottles. She only made it half way when she had to run to her bathroom. They all laughed, but now all the dares were starting to become drink related, Bell knew it would start to all go downhill. Hattie stood up, staggered slightly, then announced she had dared herself to go and sleep with Colin. Both Lisa and Bell pulled her back down.

“No Hattie! Haven’t you heard the number of people he’s slept with already?” Lisa said, slurring her words slightly.