Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to listen, I just heard, and I-“ Bell tried to explain, tripping over her words, expecting at any moment for Ed’s obvious anger to be redirected at her. But she was further surprised when Ed’s previously wild eyes simply looked at her in confusion, then a sad understanding.

“Oh. You heard.” That was all he said. He looked sadder than Bell had ever seen him before. His eyes kept flickering between Bell and the floor. Bell knew she should be concerned about his sudden mood swings, but knew she should worry about that later. Ed needed some comfort. She could see that in his eyes.

“I didn’t hear everything. You just sounded really upset. Do you want to tell me what’s wrong?” Bell asked, cringing at the tone of her voice, which sounded like a school teacher or worse, a counsellor.

Ed didn’t reply for a moment, now his eyes trained on the floor, as if he were holding onto it. Then he looked up, and wordlessly nodded at Bell. He held the door open for her, and she walked into his room.

Bell remained standing as Ed followed her in, closing the door behind them. She waited for him, and he soon indicated for her to sit on the bed. She budged up so he could sit beside her, with a couple of inches gap between them.

Bell waited in silence for a full five minutes, whilst Ed seemed to gather himself. In those five minutes, she looked round the room, which she’d only been in a few times before. She saw the poster of a football player on his wall (not Rooney though, she noted) along with the football magazines scattered on the desk, and the open laptop showing the latest football results. She also spotted her mug, still half filled with stale coffee, and there were several text books lying on the desk next to her mug. Bell cast a glance over the trainers and dirty shirts lying on the floor, trying not to be annoyed about it.

At the point where Bell was wondering if he was ever going to talk, and whether she should just go back to the kitchen, he finally spoke.

“I don’t really know how to explain this. I’ve been trying to think of the right way, because I don’t want it to come out wrong,” Ed said.

“What do you mean?” Bell asked, glad he’s finally spoken, and noting the weary acceptance that was now written across his face. It was better than the anger or sadness he’d been displaying earlier.

Ed took another moment, although only a minute long, before answering “I don’t want to make her seem like a complete bitch.”

“You mean Alice?” Bell replied, trying to stay neutral but unable to not think of their night, ruined by her text.

Ed nodded. “Yeah. Because she’s not. Honestly. She acts like it sometimes, true, but I can’t say she’s completely awful. She does terrible things, but she’s not a terrible person. Do you understand?” His eyes were wide, wanting Bell to agree with him.

“Well…what terrible things does she do? I mean, don’t tell me if you don’t want to-“ Bell added, hoping she wasn’t asking too much of him, but Ed shook his head.

“It’s fine. Honestly. I want to tell you. Well, I think I need to tell you. But…it’s difficult,” he replied.

Bell made eye contact with him. “You can tell me whatever you want. I won’t judge you or Alice, and I promise I won’t tell anyone else. It will stay in this room, between me and you.”

Ed still held her gaze as he answered “I know. I trust you.” He sighed, and then began.

“We’ve been going out now for the past year and a half. We kind of got together near the start of sixth form, but weren’t officially together until towards the end of the first year. She was… well, just amazing. So beautiful. So confident. I never thought she would be, well, interested in me. Because I often think of myself as the complete opposite of her. I thought I was so lucky, her wanting me. She’s just so…vibrant. Full of life. Mysterious. I was attracted to her the instant I met her.