Chapter Two

It was a three-day voyage back to Port Royal, and a longer three days Norrington never knew. Once all of the prisoners were transferred to the Interceptor, the pirates, put below decks, were constantly fighting amongst themselves, arguing with their guards, or trying to escape. Except for one.

The young lady, whom Norrington had learned was a Miss Olivia Pembroke, was probably the most compliant prisoner he had ever dealt with. She only spoke when spoken to, she never fought or argued with her guards, she silently ate whatever food she was given, even thanking her captors when her meals and water rations were brought. For her good behavior, Norrington had allowed her to be brought up on deck to walk around for a few minutes on the second day. She was closely followed by Groves the whole ten minutes, and he reported that she made no suspicious moves, had, in fact, done her best to stay out of the sailors' way, and kept her hands where they could be seen.

So, on the third day, Norrington allow her a longer time on deck (if convicted, this would probably be her last taste of "freedom"), and had her manacles removed. He watched from the helm as she drifted along the port rail, keeping her hands clasped at her waist where Groves could see them.

Norrington made his rounds on deck, and it was several minutes until he looked around for their prisoner. He found her at the bow, Groves a couple of paces behind her. Silently, he relieved Groves of his guard duty in favor of watching Miss Pembroke. She stood tall, one hand ensuring her hat stayed in place as the wind blew and the other resting on the rail. Hearing his approach, she turned to greet Norrington.

"Good day, Commodore," she dipped into a half-curtesy. "You have a fine crew."

Norrington nodded in acknowledgment. "Indeed. Some of His Majesty's finest."

She turned back to the sea and nodded toward a pale smudge on the horizon. "That's it, isn't it." It was not a question.

"Port Royal? Yes," Norrington answered quietly, stepping forward to join her at the rail.

"And there will be a fair trial there?" she asked, her eyes never leaving the horizon.

"Yes, of course.'

"What about before? I'll be put in prison, I suppose."

"I'm afraid so, Miss Pembroke," he answered. "You will be given the chance to speak for yourself, to confess to you crimes, before the trial. I do recommend that you do; the sentencing might be easier, seeing as you are young."

"And who will I be talking to? You, Commodore?"

"As a matter of fact, yes."

She looked up at him, her expression serious. "I swear to you now, I will say naught but the truth," Her dark, chocolate eyes locked with his blue ones, and he knew that she was speaking the truth. "Will you listen, truly listen to what I have to say?"

Norrington met her firm gaze unflinchingly. "As an officer in His Majesty's Navy, you have my word."