Chapter 3

"Rise and shine, sleepy head."

Slowly and reluctantly, Evelyn uncovered her face. She blinked, closed her eyes, and blinked again. Streaks of sunlight penetrated through the window, blinding her.

"Evelyn?"

She rolled over in the warm sheets. Sadly, she had nobody to cuddle and share this moment with besides her pillow.

"Wake up," a familiar voice reached her ears.

Her sister? How did she get in?

"Go away, Alex," she groaned, and hugged her pillow.

"Come on, Evelyn, wake up."

She didn't stir until she was literally being pulled out of the bed.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

Half-opening her eyes, Evelyn adjusted them to the bright daylight and met her sister's blue eyes. They were almost the same color as Evelyn's. Their hair color was the same too, dark brown and long. People said they looked twins. Only Alex was six years older, taller and a little more tanned than Evelyn.

"I thought you had a job interview?" Alex popped up her perfect eyebrows.

Evelyn groaned, closing her eyes, she dropped on the bed again. "It's on Sunday."

"It is Sunday."

Her eyes opened like two flashlight beams. "Wait, what time is it?"

"Seven thirty."

"Shit!" She woke up faster than a cat in ice-water.

"Oh god, I'm late, I'm so so late." She panicked, throwing the sheets away. "How the hell did I get late? I'm never late."

Alex scoffed. "Who told you to drink last night?"

"I am supposed to be there at eight." Evelyn threw her palms over her face. "I'm such an idiot."

"Hey, you've still got thirty minutes. Hop into the shower. I'll make breakfast real quick," Alex chirped.

"Well, I'm not going."

Evelyn looked back at her sister. A narrow beam of sunlight pouring into the bedroom fell over Alex. Even without make-up, she looked effortlessly beautiful in her short, floral dress, which being a high school teacher, she didn't normally wear every morning.

"Why?"

"Steve said that his friend, Sean Martin, apparently hates late comers. I'm losing this job anyway."

Steve had just laughed at her when she'd told him she'd never heard of Sean Martin. How would a girl from Michigan, hardly ever interested in business and politics, possibly know about the high and mighty business tycoon from Los Angeles?

Discovering her lack of knowledge, Steve had filled her up about the man. It appeared Sean Martin was not just some ordinary guy. The man was a fucking billionaire and the CEO of Martin Securities, one of the world's largest security companies. He was also the founder of the Will Martin Foundation. He owned several other business entities including hotels and nightclubs all across the US.

However, one thing she'd learned about him was how ruthless of a person he was when it came to professionalism, and being late for a new job interview was anything but professional.

"No, you won't, don't jinx it," Alex said. "You go on and take that shower. I'll make pancakes."

Miss eternal optimist!

"I don't think I have time for breakfast."

"I'm not going to let you leave the house without having your breakfast. And you can take my car today."