Seven

'You have to roast it on the coals honey. If you put it in the fire it'll burn.'

Marcus took three marshmallows and after perfectly roasting them he made three s'mores and gave them to Dinah. She almost dropped the first one after immediately biting into it.

'They're still hot, let them cool down a bit first kiddo.'

'Oh oops,' Dinah giggled. 'Dad can I tell you something? You have to promise not to tell anyone.'

'Pinky swear, what's on your mind kid?'

Dinah sighed as she rested her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands. 'My chest feels empty.'

'What do you mean?'

'I don't know, it feels empty and my brain feels like when you forget something but you can't even remember why you were supposed to remember it.'

Marcus frowned as he stared at his seven year old adopted daughter. He disagreed with what they did to her, to both children. It wouldn't work, he was sure of it. The bond that the girls shared was evidently strong enough that somewhere deep down, Dinah's soul knew what had happened but it didn't yet understand.

He smiled as he stole one of her s'mores, momentarily distracting Dinah from her question. Kyra looked at him from where she sat across the fire with Dinah's friends, evidently echoing his sentiments.

______

Dinah came downstairs and found Lauren, Ally and Funaki still dressed in their pajamas in the kitchen. Funaki was making breakfast whilst Lauren and Ally were helping. Kamila was watching tv with Vaka and Seth. She remembered that she had been on the phone and went back upstairs to check if Normani was still there.

'Hi,' Dinah smiled at the image of a still half asleep Normani on her phone screen.

'Hi.'

They both laughed. 'You were right, about my family not having a say. My siblings are all here. So are Lauren and Ally. And you were right about my parents giving me closure. But I don't think my mother told me everything.'

'I'm glad you're having fun.'

'Other people would be upset at not seeing me for a whole week.'

'Well I'm not other people, and I can see you right now.'

I rolled my eyes. 'You know what I mean. I want to make it up to you. I still don't really know this city that well but maybe we can go exploring later today.'

'That depends, are you asking me out on a date Dinah Jane?'

'And what if I am Princess?'

Normani smirked. 'I'll have my assistant check my schedule and get back to you with a more convenient date and time.'

'I'll pick you up at 7. Can you stay on the phone with me? I'm going for a record.'

'Sure but I'm going back to sleep.'

'That's okay, I'll just mute you so we don't wake you up.' Dinah went back downstairs just in time to find breakfast ready.

Funaki smiled. 'Finally the princess is awake.'

'Stop calling me that.'