The Pumpkin King

5/22/18

You cautiously began to open your eyes as you struggled to rise from the cold, dark ground. Your head throbbed as you managed to get into an upright sitting position, causing you to instinctively place your hand up to your temple in attempt to mitigate the vigorous pounding.

Your blurred vision allowed you to only make out colors, which didn't help your nerves as you couldn't clearly see anything. You remembered escaping the house and falling into the pumpkin door of a tree, so you knew for a fact you were in an unknown place. Not being able to see anything was terrifying, to say the least.

You rubbed your eyes and blinked rapidly, and eventually, your vision cleared. You saw the curved hill in the distance, with the gigantic moon beaming right behind it. You began to see the sharp spikes sitting atop the fences and walls of brick. Scattered around the area were dozens of tombstones. While some were oddly shaped and bore weird decorations, most of the tombstones were the traditional cross.

"Oh my god, I'm in a graveyard!" You felt a sharp shiver go down your spine as your teeth clattered slightly in fear. "Where did that dog take me?"

Remembering the dog, you furiously looked around in attempt to see the floating creature. However, the dog was nowhere in sight. That meant you were all alone in a strange world....by a graveyard. "Oh, I knew I shouldn't have trusted it!" You began to panic. "It left me all alone to die! It probably went to go get its zombie friends so they could finish me off!"

You began to tug at your hair as you felt the trembles begin to shake throughout your figure. Your teeth clattered as you felt as if you were going to throw up from a large excess amount of anxiety and fear. "I'm done for! This is the end! I'm dead!"

"Are you sure? You look more alive than anything else in this place." You heard a voice speak up behind you. Freezing where you sat, you began to fret. Should you turn around? What if it's a monster? What if it will kill you? But....what if it could help you?

You slowly turned around and instantly regretted it. You were met with a tall skeleton man in a black and white striped suit, finished off with a bow tie that resembled a bat. He has ridiculously long legs, along with long arms, though much shorter than his legs, that held long, bony fingers. His pure white skull held an eerie smile as he looked at you with his creepy, empty eye sockets of pitch black.

"Um, Miss?" He asked, trying to break you from your trance as you had been staring blankly at him, though eyes still wide with fear.

You held back a scream, thinking it best you tried to make as little noise as possible. If you were to scream, especially in this place of the dead, who knows what kinds of monsters would come rushing, eager to find the source. Instead, you scrambled to your feet and began to run toward the hill in the graveyard. "Wait!" The skeleton called out, but you refused to listen.

You trampled over the dead, crinkly grasses and pushed your way through the gate of the graveyard. Quickly slamming it shut behind you, you took the risk of looking back the way you came. A huge sigh of relief escaped your lips when you didn't see the skeleton in sight. Had you lost him? Maybe he gave up? Nonetheless, you managed to push a heavy, loose tombstone against the gates so that nothing would be able to get in.

Sitting on the dark ground, you leaned against the backside of the small, brick wall as you tried to catch your breath and slow your erratic heartbeat. You hugged your knees to your chest, staring up into the sky. You were ready to calm your nerves, but you were curious, to say the least, when not a single star was in sight.

It was very odd, and so peculiar. There wasn't a single cloud in the night sky, leaving it open and exposed. Yet not a single star shimmered, not a one! They couldn't have just vanished. Stars don't work like that. Could it be one of the strange characteristics of this land of the dead?