chapter nine

- short filler chapter, sorry loves :/ -

"Where ya' been, Luke? I haven't seen you in awhile." Austin's dad spoke as he raised a cup of coffee to his lips. "Do you work yet? Pull your weight?"

"I dare you to ask me that again." Luke sneered as he shut the fridge and then twisted the cap off of his bottle of soda. "Ask me that again, right to my face."

"I'm sorry." He raised his arms up in defense. "How's the plant? Did you spark yet? My buddy grew it himself."

Luke paused as he met his eyes, deciding that this man was truly the devil in disguise. He dressed like a business man, but beneath that ironed suit and the briefcase was the more evil thing he's ever come across, and he's seen a vengeful ex destroy his friend's belongings.

"I've been caring for your damn kid." Luke replied with a fake smile as he set his bottle down.

"Has he tried-"

"Don't fucking finish that god forsaken sentence." Luke held a finger up as he looked at his tiled counter. "Go somewhere."

"Pardon me?" The asked and before Luke could say what he wanted to, his brother was walking in the room with a stuffed animal in his fist and a head full of bed hair.

"Lu, can you make me some cereal?" He asked quietly as he sat at the table, his eyes droopy and his bear in his arms.

"You still sleep with that thing?" His dad asked and Luke rolled his eyes as he made his brother's bowl. "Aren't you a little old to sleep with teddy bears?"

"JJ gave me it before he left."

"Jack misses you too, bub. Maybe you guys can do something soon, after his clothing launch." Luke butt in and Austin's dad scoffed.

"He left and you still miss him?"

"He left because of you." Luke snapped as he pointed a spoon at him. "You no-good, self centered, imm-"

"Luke? Get off your father. He has work soon." He heard his mom say and Luke turned his back to the adults as they shared a kiss.

"Father? You'll never be my father. He was more of a man than you ever can be." Luke spit as he finished making his brother's breakfast. "You're disgraceful."

"Shouldn't you be showing me some respect? I pay the bills for your family." He snapped. "I will not tolerate your disobedience."

"My disobedience?" Luke asked with an faux-amused laughed. "You mean after you broke my parents up, bought my mother's heart, pushed my brothers away, and treated us two like fucking garbage, you expect me to be nice to you, you fucking home wrecker."

The bowl Luke had in his hands somehow ended on the floor, and his lips turned into a scowl as he stared up at the man in front of him. "How dare you speak to me like that?"

"Hit me, I fucking dare you." Luke said lowly, his voice holding a dangerous edge to it as he glared.

"Travis, you'll be late to work. Get going." His mom said and the adult turned away from him.

"Alright, babe. You're right." He replied and Luke looked away as they shared a kiss. "Meet me at my place tonight."

"Will do."

"Come on, Austin." Luke huffed as he walked away. "I'll get you something to eat on the w-"

He froze as he saw an empty seat.

"Austin?" He called and then looked around, finding that the kid was nowhere to be seem. "Austin!"

"He's probably hiding from you and all your yelling." Luke's mom snorted and he ran a hand through his hair as he looked around the house.

"Or he caught the bus."

"He doesn't take a bus." Luke shouted at Travis before running to the child's room. "Aus? Austin, are you in here?"

Luke walked into the room and looked around. "Austin? Bubs, I'm sorry for yelling. Did I scare you? Are you here?"

It was silent.

He paused, but when he saw the closet door open a bit, he smiled to himself as he realized the boy was okay. "Okay... if he's not here then I guess I have to get hash browns and orange juice by myself. How could I finish it without him?"

The door opened bigger and Luke laughed as he saw Austin walk out. "Are you angry, Luke?" He asked and the teen sighed.

"No, bubba. Not anymore."

The eight year old ran up to him and Luke opened his arms wide for him, immediately giving him a hug when he was close enough. "Am I going to school?" He asked and Luke checked the time on the alarm clock.

"I guess not. C'mon, let's get breakfast. I don't wanna be home." Luke said as he ruffled his brother's hair. "I'm sorry for yelling."

"It's okay." Austin said and Luke felt his phone buzz. He looked at the device after pulling it out and then laughed as he read the text.

'morning handsome'

Michael's so gay, Luke thought as he replied to him. Never has he ever been with someone like him, and they weren't even truly together yet. And never has he ever liked someone so much.