chapter twenty two

"Are you hungry? I think we have something to cook." Luke yawned as he heard someone walk into the kitchen. "We might have eggs. I haven't been to the store in awhile."

"Lu?"

The teenager immediately turned around, finding his brother standing there as he rubbed his eye sleepily. "Where were you? I missed you."

"I was with Michael at his house." Luke answered and then ruffled his blond hair. "How did you sleep in my bed?"

"Good." He grinned and Luke tolled his eyes as he grabbed eggs from the fridge. "Dad's coming over in a little bit."

"How much later?" Luke asked and his brother shrugged as he set his head in his hands. "Okay. I'll um... I'll make extra then I guess."

"I thought you didn't like him?" Austin asked and Luke bit his tongue as he cracked some eggs into a bowl.

He decided it'd be best not to answer.

"Do you want jelly or butter on your toast?" Luke asked and his brother went to the fridge to pick out whatever he wanted.

"Lu, do you love Michael?" The eight year old asked and Luke threw the eggshells in his hands inside of the sink.

"Why is everybody asking me that?" He asked as he stares at the bowl. "Is it so surprising that I love someone?"

"I don't know." Austin shrugged and Luke rubbed his forehead as he began cooking. "I wanna play your phone."

"It's in your room." Luke waves him off as he began putting butter into a pan with the closest utensil next to him, a knife.

Why was it such a big deal that Luke had a boyfriend whom he loved? Did it surprise them? Austin's eight, why is he asking that? His mom he partially understands, but why's Austin?

Did he not seem capable of loving someone else?

Luke looked at the hot pan and then jumped as he hears the front door open. "Liz? Luke?" He heard Travis' voice call. "Hey, son."

"Don't you ever call me that." Luke pointed the utensil at him and the adult rose his arms in defense.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." He scoffed. "Making me any?" He asked as he sat at the table.

"Lu! Why is Mikey in my bed?" He heard and Luke turned the stove off. He's done with breakfast. He doesn't wanna cook anymore.

"You slept in mine. We had to sleep somewhere!" He called and Travis stood up.

"You have someone over... a boy," he started and Luke crossed his arms. "- and you slept together in his bed?"

"We're not fucking disgusting. We just fell asleep." Luke rolled his eyes. "My mom's asleep. Go bother her."

"I'm here for Austin actually. I went to my brother's house. We baked these." He held up a plate of brownies. "Thought you guys would like some."

"Is there nuts in it?"

"What? You think I'm gonna murder my son with some peanuts?"

"I don't know. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time you were reckless -"

"You know, it was one time. Why are you still bringing it up?" He asked and Luke ran a hand through his hair.

He can't argue. Not right now. Not with Michael only a few rooms away.

Michael wasn't when supposed to meet his mom and her boyfriend. Isn't their timing just wonderful?

"Stop arguing." Austin said and Luke walked out of the kitchen to head to the boy's room.

"Michael? Are you awake?" He asked and sure enough the boy was sitting on the edge of the small bed. "Hey, good morning, sunshine."

"You drooled on me. There's a mark."

"Sorry, baby." Luke apologized. "You can borrow one of my shirts. Come on."

"Is something the matter? I woke up and you were kinda yelling." Michael brought up and Luke sighed as they walked to his room. "You wanna talk about it?"

"It's alright. It's just my mom's boyfriend. We don't really like each other." He brushed it off. "He's a fucking prick. One time he asked if Austin was smoking yet."

"He's eight."

"It's medicinal." Luke mimicked as he rolled his eyes. "Here."

Michael took his white t-shirt off and then put on the new one. "Are you hungry? I turned the stove off but I'll make you something if you want." Luke offered and Michael nodded.

"I'm always hungry."

"That's true." Luke nodded and then kissed his cheek. "And I don't know it I ever mentioned it, but love your morning voice."

Michael wrapped his arm around Luke and the boy laughed as he was trapped against his chest. The older teen drowned him in kisses, and Luke felt like the luckiest guy in the word. Michael's stubble tickled and itched when it touched his skin, but he didn't mind it too much. After all, he was hot and despite it being patchy, he wouldn't have Michael any other way.

"Instead of you cooking, we can always go grab something to eat." Michael reminded and Luke chuckled.

"It's noon."

"Brunch?" He tried and Luke shook his head. "Yeah, I agree."

"I'll cook you something. You just made my mood better." Luke held his face as he wiggled out of his grip. "Beware of my mother's boyfriend."

"Guess I am meeting your family, with messy hair, a shirt that's not mine, and three day old jeans." Michael huffed. "I'm a mess."

"My whole family's a mess, you fit right in." Luke joked and for some reason, as much as Luke didn't care about what Travis thought or felt, he hoped he liked Michael. It'd save a great deal of awkwardness and profanity if he did.