A surprise

Katie was tacking up her 4 year old gelding, Major. She had been cleaning out her barn all day and she needed a break. Usually when she got stressed, she resided to a trail ride with Major. Of course, her parents didn't want her on the trail since what happened to her sister, Taylor. Her parents never told her what happened to Taylor, other than it happened on the trail behind their house.

Riding in the corral was pretty boring, and since Katie's parents were never home, she decided it was more fun on the trail. Besides, her parents didn't understand; the trail was absolutely harmless!
After Katie finished tightening Majors saddle, she walked him out of the barn, mounted, and cantered towards the trail, shadowed by trees on both sides on the pathway.

Once she got on the trail, she eased Major into a gallop. The first time Katie ever galloped, she had been terrified, but that was 3 years ago. Now she was used to the feeling. Once they reached the turn, she tried to slow him down.
"Whoa, Major! Easy.."
Major slowed down to a trot, but he was sidestepping and acting like an idiot, obviously spooking at something that was probably a clump of dirt, knowing him!
But something seemed different.
Katie realized that Major was actually watching a living thing, a horse that was galloping toward them.
The horse came crashing through the thick woods, making Major rear in surprise. Katie braced herself for the hard landing as she hit the ground. She looked up to see Major cantering the trail, back the way they came.
"Major! Get back here!" Katie stood up, her head spinning. She now saw this strange horse clearly. It was a paint Mare With beautiful markings. Katie reached out, petting the horse's nose and the horse stood still for the first time.
"Easy." Katie took the horse by her rope halter and led her toward the barn, the horse following her.
"Where did you come from, girl?"