Say The Word And We'll Find A Way

Wendy, run away with me

I know I sound crazy, don't you see what you do to me?

I wanna be your lost boy, your last chance, a better reality

I slowly open my eyes to sunlight striping the walls through the blinds, hearing the singing from downstairs. I climb out of bed, slipping on an oversized Man Overboard shirt, and shake my hair out of its rat's-nest ponytail before padding softly down the stairs.

I peer into the kitchen to see Alex wearing just a pair of loose black sweatpants, singing absentmindedly as he meanders around, slicing strawberries and pouring coffee, and shaking his messy hair out of his eyes.

We'll talk about how your parents separated and

How you don't want to make the same mistakes as them

I'll say it's all about sticking it out and trying to feel forever young

I tiptoe up behind him and put my hands over his eyes. "Guess who?"

Alex laughs and spins around, his warm, cinnamon-brown eyes crinkling as he smiles. "(Y/N)!" he exclaims. "Good morning, babe!"

I smile and nuzzle my nose against his. "Good morning," I echo quietly.

I feel Alex smile as he leans in and kisses me, his strong hands gently gripping my waist as he lifts me up and sets me on the counter. I wrap my legs around his waist and run my hands through his feathery hair, skimming them down the back of his neck and settling on his back, locking us in a tight embrace. Encouraged, Alex kisses me harder, one hand softly cupping the side of my face and the other pressed firmly on the small of my back.

When we finally break apart, I ruffle a hand through his hair. "You made breakfast!"

He laughs. "I tried," he says modestly, toying with a strand of my hair. I look to see two plates with toast and strawberries, along with two steaming mugs of coffee, sitting on the table.

"It looks great!" I say, smiling and hopping off the counter. I make my way over to the table and sit cross-legged on the chair, picking up the mug of coffee. "I didn't know you cooked," I tease.

"Neither did I," Alex laughs, sitting down across from me. "But I figured I'd give it a try."

"Well, it tastes really good!" I say, swallowing a piece of toast.

"Thank you." A lazy smile flickers across Alex's face, and he looks out the window to the sunrise wavering on the lake. "I'm so glad we rented this place out for the weekend. It's supposed to be beautiful everyday."

"That's great!" I say. "Want to spend the day on the lake, then?"

Alex puts his hands behind his head, stretching out and nodding. "You read my mind," he laughs.

"Okay, then I'll clean up," I offer, putting my dishes in the dishwasher. "Go ahead and get ready."

"Are you sure? I made the mess in the first place."

I shake my head. "Go!"

"Okay, okay," Alex says, putting his hands up. He kisses my head as he walks by, placing his dishes on the counter. "I'll be in the backyard."

"Okay! I'll be out in a few minutes," I say, smiling.

Rinsing off a plate, I watch Alex through the window as he walks onto the back porch, wearing a pair of navy blue swim trunks.

I reflect on our relationship over the past several months, how we started out as friends and somehow grew into something more. He is the first guy I've had real feelings for, and the thought of that thrills and terrifies me at the same time.