Sociology REFLECTION #3 (3.2.11)

[NOTE: This was an assignment I was given in community college sociology class last year. Also, this particular assignment is a work of both fiction and non-fiction, written from a completely hypothetical point of view. The only edits made for this post were my friend's real name and my real name.]

"Dear [Iceman],

            First of all, I want you to know that no matter what happens, I’ll always have your back. You’ve stood by me through far too much for me to ever turn my back on you, especially at a time like this. Even when I disrespected you, disrespected your girlfriend, and disrespected your home, you never kicked me to the curb. So, when you get released, if you need a place to stay until you get back on your feet, which I know you will, you know that you’re always welcome in my home.

            That being said, myself, and what little mutual friends we have left these days, are definitely disappointed in the actions you took, which resulted in your arrest and imprisonment. Everything was, seemingly, going so great, with your bone fracture accelerated healing device supposedly on the horizon, then we find out you’ve been arrested for selling Oxys. And we didn’t find out because you called one of us with your one phone call. We found out because we hadn’t heard from you in days, so we decided to check the sheriff’s office website, and there you were. I know it’s hard to imagine, but we’re thankful we found you there. We’re thankful we didn’t have to go to the hospital, or the morgue, or wherever it is that people go to identify the dead body of their loved ones. I know you’re in Hell right now, but you should be thankful, too. You have so much to offer to the world and, although some dramatic changes in your lifestyle will definitely need to be made, when you get out we still want and need the same [Iceman] we know you truly are back in our lives.

So, don’t get caught up in the prison lifestyle that so many fall victim to. Being confined for such prolonged period of time and having your rights stripped away from you like that is terrible, but you must not let it suck you in. I know you’re going to have a record, and life is going to be different, but don’t let that ‘criminal’ label get to you. Even after I was released I continued to screw up. You saw that first-hand. After this, it’s only going to get worse. You’ve already got two strikes; you don’t need that ‘career criminal’ label. Trust me. It’s more than just an understanding; it’s an actual legal term that guarantees the penalties will be worse if you continue to offend.

I also don’t want you to think you’re George Jung and start making friends with negative people while you’re inside. You saw the movie. You know how it’s going to play out. Don’t let it happen. Chances are you are going to meet some people like that who want to boost their criminal cache. Stay away from them. Even if they are just glorifying their past, stay away from them. Don’t let being imprisoned change you for the worst. From now on, you, and me, are going to need to move forward with our lives. We can’t dwell on things like this or fantasize about the crazy parties we used to throw. We need to grow up. That way of life is toxic and it’s only landed you where you are today.

Finally, don’t take this as a lecture. I’m not your mom. I’m your friend. I’m your brother. I’m not writing this to judge you. I only want what’s best for you and I’m sure that you already know that, but if you need me to remind you that with every letter I write, I will. Keep your head up and I’ll see you when you get home.

Peace,

[whiteout]"